NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Opinions: Merc - Opti Max , 2010, 434 hours - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-18-2014, 10:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Opinions: Merc - Opti Max , 2010, 434 hours

Im very familiar w optis i know them inside out. They r good for 1000plus hours w no major issues usually. This is running them heavy seasonally. Plugs every 100hrs they r the expensive irridium ones. U need to watch the compressor on top of motor most fail to lube it properly every season and this is main powerhead failure it pumps the oil in essence. They r easy on gas actually my 150 opti 2012 is easier on gas than my suzuki 4stroke. Have the engines scanned for hours and check for updates to the ECU they had a bunch in late 2011 will also give u any codes in history and any alarms that ever happened. Make sure zincs are good alot of ppl like magnesium too on those. The early 2000s era had sum issues the last couple years they are great. Love mine best 2 stroke dfi out IMO.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Opinions: Merc - Opti Max , 2010, 434 hours

Thank you guys for taking the time. Hearing about your personal experiences gives me perspective at least.
The debate on 4 k hours was entertaining to say the least so hi jack was amusing.
My conclusion is I would feel comfortable buying a Merc 2 stk but care for it better than my current Johnson 200 which is a pure tank and non machanics ( me) dream so far.
I think at this stage of game I would lean toward Suz or Ya 4 strokers....seems to be where we are destined.......tite lines the Striped ones are near......fall is in the air.