NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New Member Intro - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-07-2020, 12:58 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default New Member Intro

Hey Folks, new member here just saying hello. I've been lurking on this site for almost a year now and am glad to become part of this great community. I love reading the fishing reports, you all are outstanding!

I have two young sons, ages 9 and 12, and we've been fishing on occasion since they were each about 3 or 4, but in the last year we've all really developed a much deeper interest in it. We get out about 3, sometimes 4 days a week now. I wanted us to experience fishing for a variety of species on spinning rods, which we have, and we are also learning to fly fish and tie our own flies now.

My boys ALWAYS outfish me. It's sort of a running joke among us all, but that's how I'd rather have it anyway.

Lately our greatest interest has been going out for catfish, it's all they talk about and it's perfect to get out on summer evenings for them after the weather cools down. At first we were only on yellow and brown bullheads, but a friend of mine lately got us on some channel cats, which are a blast.

My boys are chomping at the bit now to try at some point for flatheads. We've got the gear and are now doing the research. Will report back!

Tight lines and best wishes, and thanks for having me.

CMA
Old 07-07-2020, 01:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: New Member Intro

Welcome to the site man! Hope to see some reports and fish pics from you and the boys. Catfish are a blast and super strong fish! I’m dying to do some. Catfishing myself. Good luck out there and let us know how you do.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New Member Intro

Welcome! Glad you and your boys are enjoying the time out there together.

The raritan river, Millstone river, and the DnR canal feature some nice cats. Mostly Channels I think. Supposedly some flatheads too. Some parts of the delaware river too.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Welcome to the show! Live line a bluegill in the D&R early morning or in the evening. Flathead love them and have even got a channel cat or two. Just make sure to keep a close eye on your rods as they tend to strike with no warning aside from the bluegill freaking out when the bigger bully comes near.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

welcome to the madness we always want people to enjoy the outdoors especially with young anglers they are our future. Catfishing is fun if you like waiting for fish to take your offerings without all the casting that lures require. some of the lakes around new jersey have decent cats in them but the rivers offer a different type of challenge, just be prepared to lose tackle when bottom fishing. Hope to read some reports from you in the future... TIGHT LINES and good luck
Old 07-07-2020, 07:43 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Welcome 👍
Old 07-08-2020, 06:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks everyone for the welcome and for the tips! We were planning on trying the D and R for flatheads first, I wasn't sure how many there were in there, but fishing the river might be a challenge without a boat, especially for the boys. Good to hear that the D and R might produce some!
Old 07-08-2020, 11:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Welcome!!! Lots of helpful fisherman on this site. Looking forward to seeing you and your kids catches’
Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Welcome! Tons of great people and info here, look forward to the catfish report!