NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Some fine NJ trouting - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-25-2018, 11:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Some fine NJ trouting

I didn't have much time after work, but I wanted to hit a certain spot away from the stocking zones so i went for it. It was a pretty far walk from the parking spot, but i pretty much skipped most of the water and headed for the 'honey hole'.

It paid off with some nice browns and some bigger rainbows the browns went for the plug the bows sucked in the jig. the old one two punch. one of the rainbows was a super flabby bellied pig and put up a hell of a fight.

Unfortunately the fishing was so good i lost track of time and it started getting dark quick. I ended up tangling with my fishing line and pulling my rod into the water which also knocked my bag over dumping my camera in the drink. I recovered everything i think, but the camera is shot i'm sure (sitting in a bag of rice now, but i think it got too wet). saved the SD card so still have the pics for the day. needed a new camera anyway, the self timer button wasn't working anymore haha.

After that i had to do the super long wade back to the car in the dark, trying to judge the bottom from the moonlight surface ripples reading the water and going by memory. I made it all the way to the last 50 yards without a full trip and then, of course, tripped right over a high rock and ate shit on the home stretch. Don't think i ripped my waders so all's well that ends well i suppose

words of advice: the headlamp is useless in your car and if you want to learn how to read river currents/bottoms just wade it at night (trial by fire)

https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 10-25-2018, 11:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Some fine NJ trouting

Great browns, that last rainbow has been eating well! Sorry to hear about your camera but as usual great story.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sometimes the best excuse to buy a new toy is to break your old one awesome report and beautiful trout!
Old 10-25-2018, 02:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Some fine NJ trouting

Nothing like taking your lumps and bumps on the water. I feel your pain with the camera having pickled X amount in the past few months do to careless wading and falling down. I now put my camera in a zip lock bag.
Very nice trout, who would have thought jigs would work
Old 10-25-2018, 03:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up Re: Some fine NJ trouting

That's a thick, colorful rainbow. Beautiful!
Old 10-25-2018, 04:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice rainbows but the brown trout are way cooler.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Chris, get a GoPro for your next camera. No need to worry about getting it wet.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Great looking fish man!! Sounds like a memorable trip too, lol. My last 2 phones met a watery death so when I was considering what new one to get I had one feature in mind, WATERPROOF!!! Luckily I was still able to plug them in and access the files but the screens are shot........
Old 10-25-2018, 07:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG View Post
Great looking fish man!! Sounds like a memorable trip too, lol. My last 2 phones met a watery death so when I was considering what new one to get I had one feature in mind, WATERPROOF!!! Luckily I was still able to plug them in and access the files but the screens are shot........
I got a Samsung Galaxy S9+ that is waterproof up to 30 minutes to 30 meters. What a strange feeling it was the first time I stuck it in the river to video a trout release.

Awesome camera on the phone.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Good deal on the fall trouts! Heh, I hear ya on the 'blind' wading. Sadly I've made that mistake more than a couple of times over the years, getting so wrapped up in the fishing you forget it's a 20-30 minute or more trek back to the vehicle in good light.
Those browns look to be clearly 2 different strains. The second one I clearly recognize, the first could be from a couple different sources though. Regardless it's great to see them!