NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Can't make this stuff up: - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-08-2018, 07:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Exclamation Can't make this stuff up:

CPO Anderson was busy enforcing the regulations on Round Valley Reservoir. CPO Anderson inspected seventy-one individuals and issued a total of thirteen summonses. Eight individuals were found not to possess a valid fishing license, two individuals were found to be trespassing, and two individuals received multiple Title 39 summonses. CPOs Anderson and Holmes also conducted a night boat patrol of the reservoir in which thirty fishermen were contacted

On Monday, July 16th, 2018, CPO Merritt and Lt. Sutton conducted a boat patrol of Lake Hopatcong in Morris County. A total of twenty-five anglers were inspected and seven summonses were issued for fishing without a license.

While on routine patrol at Paulinskill Lake in Hampton Township, Sussex County, CPO Merritt and Lt. Sutton inspected a fisherman who was found to be in possession of eighty-nine panfish. The fisherman was also found to not be in possession of a valid fishing license. Summonses were issued for failing to exhibit a valid fishing license upon request and possession of sixty-four panfish over the limit.

CPO Anderson was busy enforcing the regulations in the Ken Lockwood Gorge section of the South Branch of the Raritan River. CPO Anderson inspected twenty-nine fishermen and issued a total of six summonses. One fisherman was found to not possess a valid fishing license, four people were fishing with bait, and one person was found to be in possession of trout in the No Kill Zone of the river.

On Sunday, May 27th,2018, CPOs Merritt and Holmes apprehended three fishermen illegally fishing at Columbia WMA in Knowlton Township, Warren County. A total of six summonses were issued. Three summonses for possession of bass during the closed season and three summonses for fishing without a license.

Northern Region CPOs Driscoll, Holmes, Anderson and Sutton, with assistance from Lt. Kuechler and Central Region CPO Mascio, were busy enforcing striped bass regulations along the Hudson River and the Newark Bay Complex. The officers inspected one hundred twenty-eight fishermen and wrote a total of thirty-seven summonses for striped bass related offenses. Seven summonses were issued for unlawful possession of three short stripers, twelve summonses were issued for unlawful possession of two short stripers, nine summonses were issued for unlawful possession of one short striper, four summonses were issued for unlawful possession of three stripers over the daily limit, four summonses were issued for unlawful possession of two stripers over the daily limit, and one summons was issued for unlawful possession of one striper over the daily limit.

Last edited by AndyS; 09-08-2018 at 07:40 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 09:10 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Can't make this stuff up:

Wow. Some excellent stories. Patrolling our waters pays off, and I'd love to see our conservation officers keep up the good work.

They all know there's other streams with trout right? :P

Can't make this stuff up!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

There are only so many hours in a day and only so many Conservation Officers to go around. Those interventions were only the tip of the iceberg. When you think of all of the miles and miles of rivers and acres of property surrounding lakes, ponds and reservoirs that can't be patrolled efficiently, it's obvious we need more enforcement officers. Did I mention the need for more marine officers?

Now that the hunting season is upon us, the resources will be stretched even more. Most of the focus by the CO's will be on hunting violations. Whether they are issuing fishing or hunting summonses, the conservation officers have to make the public aware of the rules. Their visual presence is enough to deter some people from breaking the laws. It's just too bad that the state has not increased the funding necessary to hire more officers.

I'm sure if they go back to some of those same places that were mentioned, they will find the same infractions and maybe by the same people. Looking at the odds of whether a return visit will be made to those same locations, most people will take their chances.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The DFG is def stretched to its limits. Have to give these guys a lot of credit for getting done as much as they can.
Very dedicated group of guys .

Fines should be higher, as well as not having caps on them.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 09-09-2018, 03:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I got stopped and checked by the same Plainsboro police sergeant 5 times in the same spot that I got stopped and checked by a park ranger 3 times. When you go fishing every day, you get checked by law enforcement personnel many times.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:39 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I would say on average I get out fishing 3-4 times a week and do the majority of my fishing within a 10 mile radius of Belvidere and I haven’t been contacted by anyone in any form of law enforcement in at least 9-10 years! Now hunting is a different story I’ve had my license checked probably 3-4 times in the last 9-10 years!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Is that the Coast Guard patrolling Lake Hopatcong? If so didn't know that they did.

Last edited by june181901; 09-10-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 12:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You can follow NJ Conservation Officers at their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/NJGAMEWARDENS/

These guys are what protects our wildlife from a level of illegal exploitation that would quickly leave our forests and waters barren.

I just wish they would raise the fines to something more substantial. Then the penalties may have more of a deterrent effect.

I have to wonder how many of those fines will never be collected because the perpetrator is a migrant laborer.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Can't make this stuff up:

The fines are a joke, they haven't been upgraded since 1970.
I think most people that get fines on a piece of paper just throw it in the trash.
Start confiscating ALL gear, make them go before a county judge.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Unfortunately changing the fines would require getting the state legislature involved, and since they can't touch the monies derived from said fines since those dollars go directly into the dedicated Hunters and Anglers Fund, the pols have no desire to 'waste' their time addressing the situation.
We most definitely need a complete overhaul of the F&W fines and penalties statutes! And, I agree with full confiscation of all equipment in one's possession at the time of the infraction until the court appearance, and then depending on the charges and the outcome the possibility of permanent loss of the equipment/firearms, etc. That's how they operate in NY, and in the north country during the salmon run you will sit in the lockup until you can be seen by the local magistrate. God help you if you get tagged on a Fri evening, you may well sit in lockup until Mon morning. Oh, and unless things have changed in the past few years they only accept cash for any fines. No checks, no plastic.