NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tiger Muskies in Lake Musconetcong ? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tiger Muskies in Lake Musconetcong ?

Mountain still gets stocked with trout - it got 620 before opening day this year.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:55 AM
dakota560

Lake Musconetcong gets ~2k trout, all before the end of April. When summer temperatures roll around, any trout not caught, killed by cormorants or eaten by predators will be dead anyway. Diamond Mill in Millburn, which is about the size of an Olympic swimming pool, gets ~$1k which is even more absurd. Branch Brook Park in Newark, which is a cesspool and war zone, gets ~2k. It's part of the catch and release nature of the stocking program to please the public. I pity the trout that end up being released in waters like these, it's a death sentence. Don't think putting a few musky in LM changes the fate of trout one bit, carp maybe, but not trout.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I just love when they stock Muskies and Trout in the same lake, it really makes good sense.
don't you keep wanting DFW to stock the mainstem raritan below 206 where the walleye and stripers can now get to because of the dam removals? that's different?

i don't see a problem, the muskies won't eat all the trout and will help the lake out overall
Old 04-21-2018, 03:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota560 View Post
Lake Musconetcong gets ~2k trout, all before the end of April. When summer temperatures roll around, any trout not caught, killed by cormorants or eaten by predators will be dead anyway. Diamond Mill in Millburn, which is about the size of an Olympic swimming pool, gets ~$1k which is even more absurd. Branch Brook Park in Newark, which is a cesspool and war zone, gets ~2k. It's part of the catch and release nature of the stocking program to please the public. I pity the trout that end up being released in waters like these, it's a death sentence. Don't think putting a few musky in LM changes the fate of trout one bit, carp maybe, but not trout.

I grew up in Maplewood....many an opening day at Diamond Mill with my dad. Also used to fish the Rahway River in Springfield and Echo Lake. Remember catching my limit one day on the Rahway by drifting worms next to a shopping cart. They should stock the lake behind Turtle Back Zoo. Last time I was home I was really impressed with what they did with that area...restaurants, park, boat rentals, very nice zoo for the kids etc.

The stocked trout in the Reservoirs in So Cal where I live now get pummeled by Big Striped bass and Giant Largemouth. The weeks around stocking guys will throw enormous 10-12 inch Rainbow trout pattern plugs and catch some of the biggest largemouth on the planet.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
i don't see a problem, the muskies won't eat all the trout and will help the lake out overall
Correct. Research has shown that in lakes with decent, varying types of species, muskellunge much prefer to eat perch, gizzard shad, bluegills, etc.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

They still stock trout in Oxford Furnace lake which has a ton of Tiger and pure strain Musky’s and they don’t all get eaten! I caught and released 16 Rainbows there the first two weeks of March