NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Prestorm Recommandations - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Prestorm Recommandations

I've have seen over the past couple snow storms alot of boat sinkings of different size vessels large and small that were left in the water. A few things could have been done to maybe prevent things from going wrong. Even though i run bigger boats i do have a smaller commercial boat and i've owned a lot of smaller boats .

1) IF YOU CAN HAUL IT OUT
2) CLOSE ALL SEACOCKS !!!! When things freeze up ice will cause hoses to expand and burst. I"ve also seen this happen with sea strainers
3) Make sure all pumps are in working order.
4) Make sure all Batteries are fully charged and plug in a little trickle charger to keep batteries up to snuff.
5) On inboard boats I plug in an electric heater and leave it on 750 watts or plug in a block heater. Seal all vents . This should keep things a little warmer and prevent freezing. You can also plug a light bulb or two in your bildge section to prevent pumps from freezing. ( Believe it or not this will keep things above freezing.
6) If the winds are expected to be high and your not protected from the wind. DOUBLE OR TRIPLE your line up. Lines do freeze and can snap in this weather.
7) If you get alot of snow ... Its just like your driveway you have to shovel your boat off . SNOW DOES ADD WEIGHT to your vessel .If you leave it there to melt your pumps will work harder and cause a drain on your battery. Snow can also shift and cause unstable conditions to your vessel.
8) if you live close to your boat or you have a friend that lives close, Someone during a storm should check things periodically.

These might be something one could over look. If i know i wont be able to keep an eye on my vessel or someone trustfull i opt for the short haul example lift or trailer. I usually keep my 45 ft commercial boat @ Red's the surge during a storm is terrible there I've snapped 3/4 in lines there easily from the surge during an easterly wind , so now i just move it west of the RR bridge. Its cheaper then the inevitable.

Just my opinion
Capt Jimmy
Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Prestorm Recommandations

All great points ! I'd like to add if your vessal is on a stationary dock, non floater, lengthen lines a bit to overcome extra high tides, not enough to bounce off your dock, heavily fender off dock with quality fenders. Drop all aerials, I've had mine blown off boat on occassion ! OR's can ice up and bend as recently noted in southern jersey,prepare best you can, & check boat as often as possible is probably the best advice if left in water. If you have other boats adjacent to yours this could be an issue if they do not prepare,boats break loose can cause havoc. I'm sure others can add to these points.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

might i add..

if you can afford to put them in,i love the bars on the side of the pilings with the rings which allow the boat to go up and down.. this avoids surge tides in certain areas and allows the boat to move up and down with the incoming and outgoing with no problem!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Prestorm Recommandations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfishingusa
might i add..

if you can afford to put them in,i love the bars on the side of the pilings with the rings which allow the boat to go up and down.. this avoids surge tides in certain areas and allows the boat to move up and down with the incoming and outgoing with no problem!
No offense here Sport, but these are garbage. Know how to tie your mooring lines and always around a piling.

Last edited by courbeco; 02-18-2010 at 10:28 PM..
Old 02-19-2010, 10:02 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by courbeco
No offense here Sport, but these are garbage. Know how to tie your mooring lines and always around a piling.

The store boughts are garbage.. but if you get a well made one they are far from garbage and i think they are great especially for someone in a slip!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

IF the marina allows you to install them......
And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.