NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Spruce Run Hybrids Question? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Question Spruce Run Hybrids Question?

A few weeks i headed over there with my dad to try for anything.... i brought some worms (real ones and plastics), chicken liver, and shiners with me. the first few hours we didn't get a bite. we were about to call it when i told dad that lemme try the CL casted out and then my rod took off we got into a lot of them.... but then last weekend we went and got skunked we traveled across the whole lake in deep and shallow water and nothing, people around us were catching them but we couldnt get anything..... if anyone has any experience with hybrids or has any tips when fishing this lake cause even my dad said that his pole almost got ripped out of his hand when that fish took the bait. it would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Spruce Run Hybrids Question?

Wilsea,

There are a few ways to hook up with hybrids; trolling, drifting and anchoring. My perference is to double anchor. I prefer to be in 20 feet of water along a drop-off.

For bait, your best choice is alewife herring available at The Owl's Nest, Lebanon, or Clinton. I set a herring 8-10 feet under a slip bobber, toss it out, and sit back and wait. Early mornings and evenings are the best time.

If you are a troller, you need to troll very slowly; again 8-10 feet down.

Best of luck.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey Wilsea,
Everything Alumicraft said, my preference is drifting over deep water 50+ feet. I have tried and had luck double anchoring also, not so much with trolling, always 6 to 10 feet down with herring. As you can see we both have luck in different water with different methods. As for me the hour before dark is the best time and usually just fish from 6 to 9 in the evening. Many nights as I'm putting my boat on the trailer other are going out to fish to the we hours or all night. I think they are casting surface plugs as the Hybrid push herring into the shallows at night. There doesn't seem to be a exact way to catch them, so just keep trying till you come up with what works for you.

Flatcreek Phil;
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Keep your live bait fished around the ten ft depth after that the oxygen level is "O" and your bait dies. Various ways troll, drifting, live line, slip bobber w/ split shot or 1/4 oz weight with strike guard.