NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Some Comments on Fluke - Page 8 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Some Comments on Fluke

Understand where the "preferred option" came from. That was the "preferred option" put forth by the members of a sub-committee of the full council. The membership of that committee represents less than half the number of persons on the full council. So to say that was the "preferred option" by the council is not true. It was the preferred option of the committee, not the council.

RFA-NJ/SSFFF did not comment at the meeting on a preferred option as an organization. Individuals from said organizations spoke solely on their own, personal positions.

Last edited by captadamnj; 03-03-2012 at 11:58 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler Paul
The poll taken on this site may have showed 37% favoring option 2 compared to 31% favoring option 5 which may seem close when you first look at the numbers. In actuality though, about 61% of those polled favored the 18" size limit with some form of the longer season as compared to only about 33%who favored either the 17 1/2" or 17" option.

Paul

I had the FULL graph printed out and maybe I should have given ALL the vote numbers to the Board?? Nice monday morning qb! You could have printed out the same info that I did and presented it? Don't shoot the messenger.

Here's the REAL bottom line. Over 5,000 registered and over 6,000 views and UNDER 250 votes??? NOW if I had gone to that meeting with 65% of 5,000 people saying they wanted SOME length of a season with an 18" X 8 Fish Limit.......Then it would have been worth speaking. With 2% of registered members voting, I was actually embarrassed reporting the apathy of such a large group.
NJ DEVILS

Last edited by Life's A Beach; 03-03-2012 at 11:57 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captadamnj
RFA-NJ/SSFFF did not comment at the meeting on a preferred option as an organization. Individuals from said organizations spoke solely on their own, personal positions.

Understood Adam

Does RFA have a position on the subject?

Does SSFFF?
NJ DEVILS
Old 03-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Site Sponsor

Mike, I think it's quite clear that this was an issue of huge personal preference. No public comment was given from either group which reflects those divisions, I'm not really sure what else I can offer on the matter. No public comment was no public comment. Sorry I can't paint this one black or white for you. I can tell you SSFFF and RFA-NJ, as has already been posted, is more about fighting for the opportunity to liberalize period. This is a very difficult state to manage fisheries on a statewide basis due to the diversity of fishing patterns from one end to the other and more often than not, as the saying goes, what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander when it comes to regulations. A huge challenge for all, especially when we need to unify to fight for quota only to be divided when fighting for individual regs. We have to get past the individual battles and get on with the war.

Last edited by captadamnj; 03-04-2012 at 12:12 AM..
Old 03-04-2012, 12:12 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

So we are not overfishing the stock and we were under quota and we still lost fish .Typical goverment math plain and simple 2+2 = lose three fish.Shouldnt this be what the RFA is fighting against not learning how to teach the math.Whatever it is what it is no changing it this year or ever as past fisherys have proven.Thank you Capt Adam for you answers and explaining it to me.One more thing you could maybe answer for me is why did the RFA not have a offical position on this.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What I want to know is why the quota was lowered? The fishery is the healthiest I've seen.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Site Sponsor

Buckfin, see above. Looks like we were both typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsmith
What I want to know is why the quota was lowered? The fishery is the healthiest I've seen.
The science needs improvement, plain and simple. The work of SSFFF, et. al. goes on.

Last edited by captadamnj; 03-04-2012 at 12:17 AM..
Old 03-04-2012, 12:21 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

How do we get past the individual battles if one of the biggst groups for the fisherman cant even decide what they are for.Shouldnt the RFA lead by example.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What's done is done. It is in the books and we have to live with it for this season and pray to god it doesn't haunt us next year. Personally I voted for option 4 later start still before memorial day when majority of business picks up for party/charter boats, and went latest in year to bridge gap while other seasons were closed. I voted for option 4 because it was shorter than option two and had similar fall fishing options. I figured giving up few days in may would maybe help us not only keep from going over quota, and in return maybe let us have very similar season again the next year. Now we just need to wait and see the results on quota from this season, and hopefully be able to work to get it back next season. I think I am going to count how many 17.5-18 inch fish I catch and post only that in my fluke reports.

I don't understand the decision, and won't ask why because I do not feel like you will get a straight answer. Kind of smells like its to political if you catch my drift.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life's A Beach
Understood Adam

Does RFA have a position on the subject?

Does SSFFF?
Mike, for the record SSFFF has Never taken a position. We are not and never have been affiliated with Any other group. Our mission has always been to provide the best science available so that we always have a fluke season up and down the coast. On a personal level you know that I favored option 2.