NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Morgan Marina - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-10-2012, 03:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Morgan Marina

Looking for opinions at keeping boat at Morgan Marina in Cheesequake, other than the obvious issue with railroad bridge

Thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Morgan Marina

Had my boat there for years and never had any issues. Very protected from storms but it is a long ride out to the hook. Brian and Pete were great, although not sure they are still there and having a ships store right on the premises is a bonus. Noseemums can be an issue though.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Greg:

Where do you keep your boat now. You are right, distance to hook is about 35/40 minutes

M
Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Used to winter at Morgan Marina up till about 5 years ago. Pete was terrific and very fair. Prices were average to maybe a bit better for the area. Gasoline prices were better than the surrounding areas and pull/put service and prices were good. Terrific fiberglass work done in the marina by Joel and Fiberdex. Place was buggy as hell during the summer months and you could forget about being outside at night without needing a blood transfusion. Marina store was very handy and Pat (if she's still there) was always very helpful.Close proximity to West Marine and Lockwoods was also a benefit. Water was well-shielded from storms, though the current rips through Cheesequake Creek. Amtrak bridge could be a pain in the butt at times but would not usually cause overly long delays.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

I'm in Leonardo State Marina. Only reason I moved from Morgan was the long run out to the hook. I would guess from Morgan to the tip of the hook is probably 15 miles round trip. Since that is where I do most of my fishing, at 1.5 miles per gallon I need 10 gallons to make that trip. Times that by $4 per gallon and I was looking at $40 in fuel round trip.

Morgan is less expensive then the Marinas in and around Atlantic Highlands but if you run out to the hook often like me, the money you save on the Marina can be offset quickly by the additional fuel costs.

Also and as TDaly mentioned above, bugs can be an issue back there and sometimes I like to go to the boat and just hang out. Morgan is not really place for that.

Having said all this, fishing in the early Spring into early summer is great in the back bay. Lots of good spots very close to the Marina. Another way to look at this is would you rather spend time getting to someplace on the boat or in the car sitting in Parkway and route 36 traffic.

There are definately some trade offs and deciding on how often, what and where you intend to use the boat will help you make the decision that is right for you.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I keep my boat at Morgan and love it.
Pete, Brian, Al and the crew are great and there when you need help.
Prices are reasonable. In fact, I never tow - keep it there all year round.

The only caveat is they open a little late for gas. Would like to see them open at 6 especially on weekends during summer months.

But if you live in North jersey as I do and want to do an afternoon trip during the week...it's a 40 minute ride to the boat and some of the best fishing around! I keep my boat in the water from April until October. Usually around now - it's trips to the Hook once a week or so. But during prime time fluke - I fish 3-4 times a week!

I thought about moving to fish closer to the hook - but my feeling is if you learn your fishery - there are spots in the back that produce just as much - if not more fish than you would out front - with much less traffic!

Send me a PM if you need to know more
Old 09-11-2012, 11:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Be careful on the slip they give you for beam. I had one tow in there and the slip they gave him the piles were way too close.

They had to be powered in to get them to part. Not to mention wrecking his rub rails doing that over and over again.

And the RR bridge on hot days will occassionally lock down and they send out NJ Transit guys to hose it cool with water.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber