NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

My first Striper when I least expect it... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-19-2018, 03:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default My first Striper when I least expect it...

I had about 20 minutes to kill before work earlier this week so i stopped to take a few casts at my go-to spot near work, Overpeck Creek. It was a super windy day and I quickly realized the dock I usually fish from just wasn’t going to work. There is a bridge nearby that i had fished under in the past so I decided to give it a try and hope it provided some shelter from the gale force winds. It is pretty nasty under the bridge and also there is only about 5 feet from the water to the bottom of the bridge, but at least it was much less windy and I began casting a tube using my medium-light spinning rod and 6 lb mono.

One long cast with the tube and almost as soon as it hit the water my line started moving....fast. Really fast. I loosened the drag a bit knowing when I ran out of slack the line might break based on the speed this fish was moving. The fish was taking line at an alarming rate and I was thinking I had hooked a new PB largemouth since that is all I had ever caught in Overpeck. Just then the fish suddenly jumped. I have never seen a fish jump so high. It actually came within about a foot of the underside of the bridge when it jumped and also exposed its true identity - a striper! My first striper! I couldn’t believe it, I never considered that there might be stripers in Overpeck. The fish put up a great fight on the lightweight tackle and I was lucky to land it. I was beyond excited to catch a new type of fish, especially when it was so completely unexpected. After the pics below the fish was released.

I took a few more casts with the tube until a snag broke my line. I picked up my baitcaster with a spinnerbait tied on and after a few casts I hooked another, larger striper! This one I could muscle in much easier as I was using 10 lb test. Pics below taken and fish released.

At that point I was 20
Minutes late for work and had to head to the office. The disapproving glance I received from my boss when I strolled in late was well worth it:-).
Old 10-19-2018, 04:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: My first Striper when I least expect it...

Good for you man thats awesome! I fished there one time and i couldn't find a spot free of weeds/vegetation. Its right by where i work too, might have to give it another shot after seeing this! Congrats on the striper!
Old 10-19-2018, 05:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Awesome man! Congrats on the first!
Old 10-19-2018, 06:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: My first Striper when I least expect it...

Hahaha great reportamd congrats on your first Stripers! Simply awesome! Screw the boss! Should’ve shook his hand with your slimy fishy hands when you walked
In!!! LOL!!!
Old 10-19-2018, 07:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: My first Striper when I least expect it...

I know nothing about Overpeck creek, does it flow into a trib to the ocean at some point, is that a tidal section by any chance. From what I am now finding out those Stripahs spend an awful long time in FW.
Great job, nice Stripahs, love the reports !!!!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice catch, logs. It's great catching an unexpected species, especially when its a big ol striper congrats
Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice. Congrats on your first striper. Nothing better than a surprise striper or 2 when you least expect them.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:40 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

That's an awesome catch. I use to work across 95 in that Hotel complex and tried to fish off the cement pier before they build it up. There is no reason why there should not be a ton of stripers there unless there is a dam or short near the main river. Tons of eels and white perch. Good stuff right there
Old 10-23-2018, 09:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I know nothing about Overpeck creek, does it flow into a trib to the ocean at some point, is that a tidal section by any chance. From what I am now finding out those Stripahs spend an awful long time in FW.
Great job, nice Stripahs, love the reports !!!!

Overpeck Creek, which is more like a lake where it flows through Overpeck Park, flows directly into the tidal portion of the Hackensack river, although it is not tidal itself. It may be slightly brackish near where it connects with the Hackensack river, however I have had good luck catching largemouth (and now stripers) throughout the creek (lake). I have heard of stripers being caught all the way upstream on the Hackensack up to the first dam which creates Oradell reservoir, so I guess it makes sense that they would also be found in Overpeck Creek.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I stopped at Overpeck after work yesterday, even though i had to be on a conference call. While messing with my phone, something slammed my ned rig and nearly took the rod out of my hand. Unfortunately by the time i got my other hand out of my pocket it was too late - the fish spit the hook. Definitely going to try here again sometime!