NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trailer Help - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 06-09-2019, 07:36 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Question Trailer Help

I have a 1996 20' bowrider that I actually find time to use maybe 4-6 times a year. I keep it on a trailer. At least once a year I tow it up to Lake George for a vacation.

While a 23 year old boat certainly presents its own set of challenges, today I'm looking for advice on the trailer. I brought the trailer to a mechanic (one who services RVs primarily) to have the wheel bearings replaced and drum brakes adjusted. He pulled a wheel and called to tell me one axle has damage that looks as if somebody took a file to it, and needs to be replaced plus the grease seals gave out and saturated the brake pads so they will need to be replaced. The axle work was outside of the scope of what he has the capacity to do so he couldn't provide an estimate for the work.

I'm not sure whether to try and have the repairs done, knowing that I am also a bit leery of the leaf springs on the trailer based on its age, or throw in the towel and get a new trailer. I've basically lost confidence in this one and can't see pulling it five hours up the NY Thruway in a few weeks.

So - any suggestions on either a really good trailer repair shop or new trailer dealer (bunk, probably aluminum but could do galvanized) would be appreciated.

Also - thoughts on the different trailer brands?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Trailer Help

where are you located? I have had good experience with Performance Trailers in Mt Olive.

If you are getting the axle replaced do no wait. I had a similar issue around this time a few years ago (also towing to LG) and the axle distributor was closed for 2 weeks to do inventory. They got it done for me but it was close on timing.

Call ahead and explain the situation. My guess is the repairs will be much less to fully rehab your trailer than buying a new one. You could go used but you might me buying someone else's problem?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Hmmm - First thing is if they can't do the axle work, you're probably at the wrong place to begin with and should go someplace that specializes in trailers.. I have no experience with them but Middletown Trailer Supply in Belford got decent ratings.

I would take it to them or a place closer to you, have them give you an estimate, go over the entire trailer and compare the costs to get it up to snuff with a new trailer and go from there...

Bearings and grease seals are pretty normal replacement items and if the seals go and leak grease on your pads it will ruin them.

As far as the Axle looking like someone filed it, that seems kind of strange to me....

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gerry is right. he's either incompetent or telling you he does not want to do that work. The latter usually gives you a ridiculously high price to say no.

But seriously, been there myself. Long trips require confidence and trailers should not be high in that list of worries. Maybe a boat motor trumps that by many levels.

Get a new one... one less worry on a ticking time bomb. I replaced everything from the leaf springs down and then the frame cracked. Patched the crack. Then completely broke IN TWO ( another spot) AT THE RIGHT WHEEL ON THE Route 9 bridge over the Raritan River.

You wont regret new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Hmmm - First thing is if they can't do the axle work, you're probably at the wrong place to begin with and should go someplace that specializes in trailers.. I have no experience with them but Middletown Trailer Supply in Belford got decent ratings.

I would take it to them or a place closer to you, have them give you an estimate, go over the entire trailer and compare the costs to get it up to snuff with a new trailer and go from there...

Bearings and grease seals are pretty normal replacement items and if the seals go and leak grease on your pads it will ruin them.

As far as the Axle looking like someone filed it, that seems kind of strange to me....
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thumbs up Re: Trailer Help

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I ordered a new trailer this week. I did find the receipt from when I had an axle replaced on my old one about ten years ago and back then it cost more than $500 all in, so I know I'd be looking at quite a bill to do the axle, bearings and brakes without even touching the leaf springs and bunks both of which likely need to be redone. So for ~$2200 I'll have a new trailer that I can trust for the next several years.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Im a big fan after decades of successful use of bearing buddies. I easily put 1000 miles a year on mine for over a decade. On my first Higlander jack knife trailer and the LoadRite replacement after 20 years of exclusively salt water use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPT3 View Post
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I ordered a new trailer this week. I did find the receipt from when I had an axle replaced on my old one about ten years ago and back then it cost more than $500 all in, so I know I'd be looking at quite a bill to do the axle, bearings and brakes without even touching the leaf springs and bunks both of which likely need to be redone. So for ~$2200 I'll have a new trailer that I can trust for the next several years.
Big time hottie crabber
Old 06-16-2019, 03:00 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
Im a big fan after decades of successful use of bearing buddies. I easily put 1000 miles a year on mine for over a decade. On my first Higlander jack knife trailer and the LoadRite replacement after 20 years of exclusively salt water use.
I've heard good things about the buddy bearings as well.... However, you don't want to use an air gun grease gun on them or your run the risk of blowing seals... Have you heard that Frank??

Also I heard the best time to grease them is after running the trailer a bit to get the existing grease and bearings warm and they accept the grease better??

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPT3 View Post
I have a 1996 20' bowrider that I actually find time to use maybe 4-6 times a year. I keep it on a trailer. At least once a year I tow it up to Lake George for a vacation.

While a 23 year old boat certainly presents its own set of challenges, today I'm looking for advice on the trailer. I brought the trailer to a mechanic (one who services RVs primarily) to have the wheel bearings replaced and drum brakes adjusted. He pulled a wheel and called to tell me one axle has damage that looks as if somebody took a file to it, and needs to be replaced plus the grease seals gave out and saturated the brake pads so they will need to be replaced. The axle work was outside of the scope of what he has the capacity to do so he couldn't provide an estimate for the work.

I'm not sure whether to try and have the repairs done, knowing that I am also a bit leery of the leaf springs on the trailer based on its age, or throw in the towel and get a new trailer. I've basically lost confidence in this one and can't see pulling it five hours up the NY Thruway in a few weeks.

So - any suggestions on either a really good trailer repair shop or new trailer dealer (bunk, probably aluminum but could do galvanized) would be appreciated.

Also - thoughts on the different trailer brands?

Thanks
As a retired auto tech i can safely say wherever you were was the WRONG place. A single axle boat trailer is a VERY simple piece of technology.. Unless the hub and bearings were burned up, and the wheel came off the axle and destroyed it, there is almost NO way the axle was beyond repair unless it was hit,or rotted out... or something..
most axles in the hub area can be dressed with a file if there are some burrs... i have NO idea whey your guy was talking about... a brand new axle install is an hour job at most, even without a lift, in a back yard.. Jack up the trailer frame, position on 4 jack stands, take off the tires, remove the 2 U bolts on either side of the axle where it bolts to the leaf spring, take it off, and put the new one on.. They are readily available at any trailer supply place. ... Even the brakes were probably fine.. When they get grease on them, a wash with hot soap and dish detergent, then a spray down with brake cleaner gets them as good as new.. You need to not go back to the "technician" in question... bob
Old 06-18-2019, 11:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I did Gerry.

I hand pump the grease in. Yes Ive seem them blown. I did one myself. Never too much till it see it oozing from inside the wheel. I guess even by hand you can over pressure.

They are "almost" idiot proof. They are spring loaded to push grease against the bearings. You can how far the cap w/ zerk had recessed. Anywhere in between till it maxs out works. Over pressure blows seals on inboard bearing side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
I've heard good things about the buddy bearings as well.... However, you don't want to use an air gun grease gun on them or your run the risk of blowing seals... Have you heard that Frank??

Also I heard the best time to grease them is after running the trailer a bit to get the existing grease and bearings warm and they accept the grease better??
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 06-18-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Old 06-20-2019, 09:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Do remember that a "Bearing Buddy" only provides a bit of a water seal to the axle/bearings. It doesn't actually lube the bearings, especially the inside bearing. You still need to do a yearly cleaning and re-lubing of the bearings.

However, if you have ez-lube type of axle or hub, they do replace the old grease in the bearings. Knowing this, I extend my bearing jobs to every 2 years, depending on use.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ