NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

~*~ Mud Shark Hunting 9-12 and 9-13 ~*~ - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-14-2020, 03:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default ~*~ Mud Shark Hunting 9-12 and 9-13 ~*~

With a fall season upon us, it is time again to go some mud shark hunting upstate.

And quest for dirty salmonz begins...

Labor day weekend was out on charters in Lake Ontario and with some suicide salmonz beginning to enter salmon river we decided to join in on the fun...or so we thought at least.

Report as follows:

Water level in Salmon River is extremly low. BY my conservative estimates at least couple of feet lower of what it should be. With no releases scheduled from reservoir, this will be some tough fishing indeed.

COVID update:
Social distancing is not enforced at all. 99% of fisherman are fishing without masks and well combat fishing as usual. If you decide to travel keep that in mind. Will only get worse as crowds will get bigger.

Back to fishing.
Only deepest holes will hold fish and you will be competing with about 50 other people trying to catch same one. Zero movement of fish during the day, some scattered movement during the morning and better movement of fish toward the night. Fished from staircase to tressle pools with only town pool producing some fish.
Saturday 12th morning - 8 hook ups between me and my buddy with zero fish landed. If fishing town pool watch out for very aggressive and pissed of beaver. Were doing much better on fallfish that actual salmonz...
Saturday 12th evening - switched locations to another spot and with fish actually moving we went 2 for 5. All fish was landed in last hour and half of possible fishing.

Sunday 13th morning - Worse morning i had maybe since first year when i started fishing. We went 0 for 1 with pretty much zero fish movement.

Low water quantity and enhanced visibilty makes up for some tough fishing. Go with 6-8lbs leaders and as less weight as you can possibly have. Not a lot of fish in river so be ready to be on a move.

Overall good quick trip to open a season and good luck to all who go.

Andre
Old 09-14-2020, 03:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: ~*~ Mud Shark Hunting 9-12 and 9-13 ~*~

Thank you Andre, fantastic report

You think any reservoir releases will come this fall? Otherwise it seems dependent on some rain?
Old 09-14-2020, 04:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Thank you Andre, fantastic report

You think any reservoir releases will come this fall? Otherwise it seems dependent on some rain?
As of now tentative schedule for release is md October. But again that wont happen unless they will get some rain since reservoir is 4 feet lower than it should be.

Best bet would be going to Oswego to fish the dam but i just cant get used to fishing in lifejackets.

I am up there pretty much every weekend from September till December so will post reports and updates as i go.

Andre
Old 09-14-2020, 09:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks Andre, that's pretty sick, great commitment, Hope to see you out there perhaps