NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NY State holdover trout lake question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-07-2020, 09:55 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default NY State holdover trout lake question

Are there any lakes relatively close by in NY State that have holdover trout? I have a 16 foot rowboat on a boat trailer. You are not allowed to park a trailer in Walton Lake so that lake is out.

Another question that should probably be in a different forum I have a 16 foot boat and a 50 lb thrust minn kota electric trolling motor. If I buy a group size 24 deep cycle battery how long (approximately) do you think I could troll at a pretty fast speed before the battery reaches like 25% capacity. You guys are geniuses out there and I figure several of you will have an idea.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Lightbulb Re: NY State holdover trout lake question

According to their website, it looks like a group 24 battery has 70-85 amp hour capacity and the 50 lb thrust trolling motor has a draw of 50 amps, so you'd get about 1.7 hours out of the battery at full speed (85 ah/50a=1.7hrs).

That's just based on minn kota's numbers and will depend on your boat size, wind, current etc. I have a 100ah battery and an Endura Max 55 lb on my 14 ft canoe. According to Minn Kota, the draw of the trolling motor is 50 amps, but the max uses less battery than the standard Minn Kota at lower speeds. After a day of fishing (usually 8-10 hours) I typically have more than 75% battery left and thats after driving ~15-20 min to the spot at full speed, usually some light trolling, and moving while casting, and then driving the same distance back at full speed. Someone with a more similar sized boat may be able to provide a better estimate for your situation but I hope that helps!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: NY State holdover trout lake question

get the biggest battery with the highest amp hour rating. i would get a series 29 or 31 if i was planning on trolling alot

info on calculating run times.

https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs...motor-run-time

Last edited by NJSquatch; 09-08-2020 at 01:36 PM..
Old 09-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Site Sponsor

There’s for sure some good spots close by.... trolling for trout at the speed I like to go I have on a electric only lake.. I get about 2 hrs I would say... need at least three four battery’s to fish those lakes but if the fishing is good it’s well worth it... when I go to the valley I run the 9.9 just in gear basically pushing me and steer with the minn Kota and I can fish a long time before switching to a second battery... gotta remember the wind has a lot to do with it as well it eats them battery’s up QUICK!!!!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 09-09-2020, 09:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

your battery will drain very fast at constant trolling. I'd connect at least 2 batteries in parrallell, as large a size as you can fit.

What do you consider fast trolling speed? if i want to go 2.7-3 mph with a few rods and down riggers out (they put significant drag on the movement of the boat) I use the bow and transom motors both with 3 batteries and it doens't last long enough to keep that speed; i need a 4th battery to get a decent 5-6 hours of trolling especially if there is some wind. and that's for a boat a little smaller than yours.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54