NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ice conditions thread......????? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool Ice conditions thread......?????

Hey guys!!! It’s pretty damn warm out there today. I’m sure the rain did some damage to our beautiful ice. Especially the edges! Please post ice conditions here if you can. Thickness, condition of the edges, etc. etc. let’s keep people safe this weekend. I’m checking a lake in Union County on my way home this evening. The meltage on this body of water will help me gage what we lost in NNJ. We had about 5-8 inches of ice prior to the storm and warm front. Let’s see what happens!!!FLAGGGGGG!!!!!
Old 01-24-2019, 03:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Ice conditions thread......?????

Its supposed to get stupid cold again starting tomorrow and all weekend, im heading out Monday since im off work. may have to drive farther north than I wanted, but come hell or high water im going out.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

~2.5” at the Lake Hopatcong rain gauge. Edges are shot where I checked. Maybe next weekend?

Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I was up in northern Sussex yesterday and there were a solid 8 inches of black under a sheet of crust. Warm rain sucks but man does it take a lot to put a dent in that kind of ice. I was out one year in 60-degree rain to the point where there was so much rain on the ice it looked like open water but we had 6 inches under us. Gonna get real cold again, I think we're gonna be ice fishing for awhile. Be safe, remember the honeycomb isn't as strong as the clear stuff so make sure it's a little thicker but most of all...don't be sad. Winter has just begun. And on that note...off to tarpon fishing in Miami. Lol.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Hey Eddie
This is a great thread and safety is paramount. Unfortunately I'm working dawn till dusk yesterday and today so I don't have any accurate info to provide since yesterday's weather. But I was out Wednesday and Hopatcong had a solid 7-8" where I was and another public lake not far from there had a solid 6". Hopefully we have some safe access this weekend.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:23 AM
Site Sponsor

Was light snow last night at my house in landing, there is def gonna be places to fish this weekend just watch those edges fellas!!!! Don’t wanna be like the 5 guys that got stuck out on Budd Lake the other day😬
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 01-25-2019, 12:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool Re: Ice conditions thread......?????

Still looking for some ice reports. Please post up conditions if you can. If you don’t want to make those conditions public text or message me. We lost a ton of ice here in union county. Be safe guys!!!

Catfishonthelake I’m coming in your suitcase buddy!!!
Old 01-25-2019, 02:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Anything for you FastEddie.

Looks like we need to worry more about our idiot governor's overzealous road prep for non-existent storms than the weather.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/mendham...dd-lake-police
Old 01-25-2019, 03:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

just a heads up i went and looked at the ice at different places on the cong today and the ice seems to be good out from the shore. there was some people out at the state park area and i wondered how they got out there.. i did not see a plank or anything else that would of allowed them to get out there maybe they got out from a shady spot or a dock that was still safe to walk on. the shores took a beating, the old ice is under water and we need a couple of cold nights to lock everything up.. if you go PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND CHECK AS YOU GO... if it stays cold things might improve by Monday. we need the wind to mellow out at night and that might speed things up a bit.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Da Russians no care how we get on dat ice...

I'll be out tomorrow mugging everyones spot so, ya all betta hide.

Eddie make sure to lock all the doors on dat car, otherwise I be forced to make a nest for myself.

Reports be coming, tight lines all

Andre

P.S. That Red Clam on picture from Budd Lake article.....Good to see Zach and PhillyFishing out there doing their thing

Last edited by Andrushkin33; 01-25-2019 at 04:37 PM..