NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Natural Reproducing Pike - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-06-2019, 10:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Natural Reproducing Pike

I worked for fish and game up in Connecticut and the pike marshes we had at Bantam lake, Mansfield reservoir and the Connecticut River are similar to areas on the Passaic, Budd, Cranbury, Farrington, Millstone etc. There is natural reproduction for sure in NJ. That being said the pike populations can crash even with good spawning grounds if the conditions aren’t right, so a lot of pike waters need supplemental stocking to maintain a good population of fish.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:25 AM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Mark B. said of all the fish stocked by the state of New Jersey, not one reproduces except Lake Trout. You see them strip the eggs from walleye and muskies every year and bring them back to the hatchery.
If natural reproduction isn't occurring with walleye, why is 3/1 thru 4/30 catch and release only during their spawn?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I don't see why pike wouldn't reproduce, pickerel aren't stocked and they are everywhere !!! Walleye reproduce in the Delaware
Old 03-07-2019, 12:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy View Post
I don't see why pike wouldn't reproduce, pickerel aren't stocked and they are everywhere !!! Walleye reproduce in the Delaware
strangely enough though the delaware no closed season on walleye? haha go figure
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 03-08-2019, 10:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

From my understanding, NJ does not offer the water and substrate conditions needed for a successful spawn in most of the species mentioned above. Optimal PH, turbidity and type of substrate/bottom is needed. If "Fish A." needs a clear, moving feeder creek with slate bottom, but only can spawn in a feeder with muddy bottom or lots of particles in the water, the eggs will not stick or will get covered in particles and not hatch.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 03-08-2019, 12:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post
From my understanding, NJ does not offer the water and substrate conditions needed for a successful spawn in most of the species mentioned above. Optimal PH, turbidity and type of substrate/bottom is needed. If "Fish A." needs a clear, moving feeder creek with slate bottom, but only can spawn in a feeder with muddy bottom or lots of particles in the water, the eggs will not stick or will get covered in particles and not hatch.
i still think it all comes back to 'nature finds a way' not saying stocking isn't needed or anything like that but just simply reproduction most likely IS happening.

look how long they stocked rvr thinking the lakers couldn't spawn and we all know how that went haha
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 03-10-2019, 06:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post
This is exactly right. Pike, muskies and walleye all go through spawning motions, they do everywhere. That's why we see walleye and pike stacked in creeks at the end of March and muskies with spawning scars in April and May. Reason for the closures is so that fish can be netted for milking. I guess rather than just close certain lakes it's easier to make it statewide. The issue isn't with the spawning it's viable eggs. Muskies lay their eggs on sand, rock or pebble rock bottoms in their natural range. Not sure about pike and walleye, they're lame. Lol. New Jersey has virtually all muck bottoms. Unlike bass and sunfish that make beds and panfish who lay eggs on the weeds, muskies lay their eggs right on the bottom. In their naturally range they'd be unmolested, but here in NJ they get covered and smothered. Carp almost always invade the shallow warmer spawning grounds, but it doesn't make too much of a difference, the eggs wouldn't hatch anyway. I'm not a scientist and not sure about nature finding a way, but from what I figure the muskies think they're reproducing, but their eggs just aren't hatching.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishonthelake View Post
This is exactly right. Pike, muskies and walleye all go through spawning motions, they do everywhere. That's why we see walleye and pike stacked in creeks at the end of March and muskies with spawning scars in April and May. Reason for the closures is so that fish can be netted for milking. I guess rather than just close certain lakes it's easier to make it statewide. The issue isn't with the spawning it's viable eggs. Muskies lay their eggs on sand, rock or pebble rock bottoms in their natural range. Not sure about pike and walleye, they're lame. Lol. New Jersey has virtually all muck bottoms. Unlike bass and sunfish that make beds and panfish who lay eggs on the weeds, muskies lay their eggs right on the bottom. In their naturally range they'd be unmolested, but here in NJ they get covered and smothered. Carp almost always invade the shallow warmer spawning grounds, but it doesn't make too much of a difference, the eggs wouldn't hatch anyway. I'm not a scientist and not sure about nature finding a way, but from what I figure the muskies think they're reproducing, but their eggs just aren't hatching.
All species go through the spawning motions, even those that can't access the proper habitat for spawning. Just a matter of viability. Pike spawn when the water reaches the 40's, and they spawn in shallow areas of vegetation. Which is common habitat in many NJ waterways. So I'm certainly skeptical when people claim there is no natural reproduction in NJ pike. Especially since pike do spawn in very similar habitats elsewhere. And again, there is reservoir closed to fishing that supports a very healthy population of northern pike. Wouldnt be surprised if there was some successful musky reproduction in the Delaware, though.

Lame, huh? Typical response from an elitist musky fisherman lol.

Last edited by JDTuna; 03-11-2019 at 07:56 PM..
Old 03-11-2019, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Why not seek out evidence. There's probably a certain length pike are stocked at, like no less than 4 inches?

How about sone folk with fine mesh cast nets or traps collect samples. During the time any young of the year would be present.

If we find any shorter than the shortest stocked length, thats proof that they successfully spawn right?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I dunno.. if they aren't spawning, why are there so many odd looking Pike coming from the Passaic, that look as though they have mated with pickerel? I have seen so many clear pics of Pike with Pike spots, and pickerel chains interspersed from the passaic that I believe something is going on.