NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Raritan fly rod report 9/2/17 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-04-2017, 09:07 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Raritan fly rod report 9/2/17

I continued exploring the main branch of the Raritan with the fly rod on Saturday. It was pretty cold and I even busted out the waders in the morning. It really felt like fall, the air was crisp and the sky clear.

I fished a new section at first light. I managed two smallies early on using a jawbreaker and that was it. Dark green has been productive so far. Waded and fished for about 4 hours. The Raritan is a a beautiful river and I definitely enjoyed my time there. The highlight was meeting AndyS. He is a true gentleman.

I decided on a Plan B for the morning as it was still early and it wanted to look for something with more size. I went upstream to the places that produced in my last report. A dink smallie and voracious sunnies only.

Should have called it a day at this point, but negotiated a couple more hours from the wife. I went all the way up to the falls at Duke Island park. I half expected being squeezed out by a million fisherman, but to my surprise I had it to myself as I worked down stream. Nada. Skunked at this location. I can see the draw here as this section and immediately below it looks super fishy.

Great day over all. Will likely start to move down stream for the rest of fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2260.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	116258  
Old 09-04-2017, 09:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Raritan fly rod report 9/2/17

Duke island Park's dam is skunk city. Getting any good fish is tough there around this time. I think the fish think they're witty and clever staying just a bit downstream of the dam area.

You haven't fished the Raritan long enough till you meet Andy in his natural habitat.

Good luck further on!
Old 09-04-2017, 06:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Raritan fly rod report 9/2/17

The "regulars" will tell tell you that river can be one tough nut to crack. It's a feast or famine place. There are many sections to explore no doubt and hope you keep coming back for more.
Very nice meeting you in a very odd steep bank of the Raritan river.
My friend and I were back there again today, pounding away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).JPG
Views:	200
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	116299