NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

curious new boater - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-14-2012, 09:30 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default curious new boater

I am new to boating inshore/offshore I have a 24 ft cc with a single 200hp I hear about the Rattlesnake and mud hole. I am docked in Shark River should I consider heading out to these spots? Any ifo would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: curious new boater

Rattllesnake is up by the Shrewsbury rocks and should be an easy run for you. Mudhole is much further offshore and covers a very large area. I were you I would purchase a map of the area with all the GPS coordinates of the wrecks and plug them into your GPS.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Are you new to fishing as well?
What is the size of your fuel tank, how many mpg do you get, figure that out and you have your range, of course leaving some for reserve.
Like Gerry said , a chart and some time plugging numbers in the gps is a start, u have a 20' cc and plugged in everything within a 20 mile scope and we have a 90 gallon tank... We keep ours on a trailer at the yard right across from brys ramp, any time your lookin for help it's not too far away, feel free to pm for anything specific, but I would start thinkin bluefin if I had a 24 with the proper range, our 200 Johnson is too thirsty for that unfortunately.
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Go into the local marinas by you that the charter boats sail out of and talk to the captains and or mates. My buddy spent his first year on saltwater out of raritan and just followed charters out and found the mudhole and the rocks etc. like that, and made waypoints in his FF's GPS for future. Its a slow go but u feel safe doing it cause ur with company. Some may frown upon this but as long as u keep a big distance ur not interferin w their fishing in reality
Old 07-19-2012, 01:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
Go into the local marinas by you that the charter boats sail out of and talk to the captains and or mates. My buddy spent his first year on saltwater out of raritan and just followed charters out and found the mudhole and the rocks etc. like that, and made waypoints in his FF's GPS for future. Its a slow go but u feel safe doing it cause ur with company. Some may frown upon this but as long as u keep a big distance ur not interferin w their fishing in reality
I think Gerry's idea is much better about getting a map. I don't think Party/or any Charter boat would appreciate somone on there tail out to the fishing grounds. That would piss me off.

"For the rich there is therapy for the rest of us there is fishing"

"A bad day of fishing turns into a good day of drinking" ����
Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

As far as the Mudhole, your roundtrip run could be anywhere from 125 to 50 miles depending where you fish plus you maybe trolling so you need to figure that intoo. There is what is called the 1/3 rule for a safe margin of fuel range of your boat. The rule is that you should only plan to use 2/3rds of your fuel capacity as a safetly margin. If the seas should pick up and you need to run slower you might use up more then 2/3rds plus every boat has some unuseable fuel because of the design of the tanks and fuel pick ups.

You need to figure our what your safe range is on your boat based on your actual fuel consumption so you can see what areas are safely in your range.

Hope this helps

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Talking Re: curious new boater

thanks guys got anice chart and plugged some wrecks and what not in the gps all the help is appreciated
Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I put in a Flo Scan fuel monitor when I was running charters out of Shark River. That thing was accurate to 1/2 gallon on 223 gallons of fuel.

Stating the obvious. Dont use 50% of your fuel out and 50% back. And don't rely on your fuel guage. Thay are notoriously in accurate. Most fuel tanks are not perfect rectangles. The pitched tank bottom to conform to your hull makes the linear gauge inaccurate.

As far as spots. But a Chart. Pick some . Read reports. Commercial guys are not going to give way what took time and money to accumulate. At least not a sane one, or a honest one. I'd be leery the spot was any good at all if they told me freely.

Keep a log book or log file. Some spots are seasonal. Record everything climatic- tide, sun, wind, depth, bait, current(mooon F'up the currents), sea conditions, SST, etc.

A boat like that using 1/3 rule probably has a 60 mile range UNDER GOOD CONDITIONS. Don't know your tank size. A single 200hp at planing speed on a boat that size should be just short of or little better than 2mpg. SO with a 90 gallon fule tank- 1/3 is 30 gallons x2 mpg is 60 miles.

Get a drawing compass and see what's in that range and draw range rings from SRI. Klondike is a hop skip and jump. Spring Lake Hotel used to get me Spanish Mackeral 1/2 mile off beach on the troll.

Sooner or later you will find some good stuff. And eventually the commercial guys will be meetying you on spots you found and they learned years ago.

PM is you'd what some ideas? I ran charter out of Shark River for about 6 years off a 25' Grady and won $17,500 in Bahrs Shark Tournament back in 1989. So I know a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
As far as the Mudhole, your roundtrip run could be anywhere from 125 to 50 miles depending where you fish plus you maybe trolling so you need to figure that intoo. There is what is called the 1/3 rule for a safe margin of fuel range of your boat. The rule is that you should only plan to use 2/3rds of your fuel capacity as a safetly margin. If the seas should pick up and you need to run slower you might use up more then 2/3rds plus every boat has some unuseable fuel because of the design of the tanks and fuel pick ups.

You need to figure our what your safe range is on your boat based on your actual fuel consumption so you can see what areas are safely in your range.

Hope this helps
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 07-23-2012 at 10:29 AM..