NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Thoughts and Opinions please - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Thoughts and Opinions please

Bought a 23' Boston Whaler used two years ago... great boat, crappy engines (optimax) whatch out!! spent around 3 grand to maintain and now are running good. Can't wait to replace with hondas or yamahas. The head inside the center console is a big plus, and with a family someone is bound to need it. You can get a canvas pop up made for smaller CC's that will provide some cover. A T-top is a must for long sunny days, for without it you will roast. Might want to consider a surveyer to inspect your purchase to insure engine's and hull is in good shape for problems can be major expence. Had my boat surveyed and was told boat and motors were in good shape and still cost dollars to maintain.

Good luck!

Capt. Pat
Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Having a boat surveyed is always a good idea , but choosing the right knowledgable surveyor is another matter.
Get recommendations is a good start!
The boat you choose is based on your own personal needs, I personally owned several of each & would now prefer a WA or express!
I also know that there is a huge used boat market out there , it's definitely a buyers market, never been better to get a really good deal.
The case for the new motor & older hull always rounds like the way to go, but never underestimate the hull as needing nothing or being in solid shape.
Do your homework & you should be fine.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Banned

Spend the $ up front and have the hull and motor checked out by a pro. Best money you'll ever spend next to the 150 for seaTow.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

First boat after checking it out further was not the right boat.

Been looking for a bit, and the 10 k range for something decent has eben tough...I heard a lot about the amount of boats out there, but getting out there looking is a differnt story.

I went ans spoke to a few marinas on a recon trip and many epole have been telling me its been a very busy boat byying season. Should be interesting on the water this summer.

So I had somebody also looking for me a came across a 1997 seaswirl striper Dual console bow rider. Has a 07 200hp E-tec on the back.

Nice boat, cross between Fishing/Family room to relax for the wife and with the top up some privacy when needed and a way to be protected from some elements.

I did take the suggestings here very seriuouosly for the cuddy, but i just dont want one, and this DC is a good comprimise.

Had somebody look it over did compresion test on the engine and sea trialed it yesterday. Did about 38-40 knots at 5200 rpm. cut through the water nice, not a very rattely bouncy ride, felt nice and solid and fast and quite. I was able to talk to the guyy next to me with the engine full out, but it still jumped out of the water.

There is less than a quater tank of old gas, so I used a seperate tank with fresh gas for the run and the compression test ect.

Ill post pics when I sign the title tomorrow.

Looking for some supplies now, and a "reasonable" place for the first year in the keasnburg/keyport area.

Worst case Ill keep it on the trailer which is in good shape and just dunk it.

FWIW Im having two BIS. One for the boat, one for the trailer. IM gonna get them notarized and he will sign over the title and reg for the rtrailer. They are in NY and Ill be in NJ anything else I should know about the title and such?

Thanks, and wil post pics when the deal is done.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That was AGREED. Not GREED it was a typo have now fixed. Funny!
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber