NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trailer Help - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Trailer Help

Hi guys, my boat is moored in Belmar but I will be trailering it to South Florida to fish for the winter. Since it's such a long ride I wanted to take every measure to prepare the trailer for the long trip. Does anyone have any experience with this? I wanted to make sure everything is ready before the drive, can anyone recommend a good mechanic in my area to give the trailer once over before I depart? It's a 5 Starr Trailer/dual axle with rollers, and surge disc brakes on one axle.

thanks,

Mickey
mickey@mickeysfishng.com
Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Trailer Help

Don't see any Sponsor listings in the directory but would recommend Camp Marine in PP area. You don't indicate where you live.They sell these trailers and I've had good dealings with them.
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Where are you located so we can reccomend a place to have your trailer looked at?

2 main reasons for trailer break downs are tire blow outs and bearings heating up from lack of or compromised grease.

I would make sure and check the tires for dry rot and proper inflation. Inflation should be checked when tires are cold. I would also make sure I had a good spare and a jack to change it out if needed.

As far as the bearings, for a trip this long I would definately take them out, clean and repack. I might even have a spare set handy just in case.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 11-06-2011, 12:59 PM
NJFishing.com Member

If you don't mind taking a little ride, there is a trailer service place off of Rt. 36 close to the Highlands. Riccis Trailer Center 718-787-6502. Call ahead they are usually pretty busy depending on the time of year.