NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boat Hull Wax - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Boat Hull Wax

Will be taking on the task of waxing the old man's hull for the spring preparation. I've never done this before and can't even begin to imagine what is involved. There are enough guys on here with their own boats who prob do it themselves...If anyone has the time to share product knowledge, technique and tools required I would be much appreciated. I tooled around on google for a bit but it was way overkill. Boat is a 305 Robalo with a BLACK hull. Any help or info much appreciated. Gerry if you have opne of those cheat sheets for Waxing Hulls now's the time to post it. Thanks again for any and all information.

Also if anyone has any product info for waxing aluminum pipes, all suggestions welcomed. I used the whole bottle last year when I did this and I threw it out like a dumbaZZ so I don't remember what I used, but I "DO" remember it being very good.
Supporter SSFFF
Founder & President FGGF
Old 03-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Boat Hull Wax

As Mr. Myagi said, "Wax on, Wax off, Daniel-san" . Seriously I just use 3-M Fiberglass Conditioner and Wax, Dampen the hull section you are working on, apply the paste, let dry slightly, rub with another rag, and buff with orbital buffer. I put my crew of 3 on the hull and they were done in about an hour and a 1/2 on a 31 Rampage. It's a no brainer, don't be intimidated by it.
(609) 870- 4592
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Ditto on the 3M cleaner /wax.

Good Stuff.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyReeler
Will be taking on the task of waxing the old man's hull for the spring preparation. I've never done this before and can't even begin to imagine what is involved. There are enough guys on here with their own boats who prob do it themselves...If anyone has the time to share product knowledge, technique and tools required I would be much appreciated. I tooled around on google for a bit but it was way overkill. Boat is a 305 Robalo with a BLACK hull. Any help or info much appreciated. Gerry if you have opne of those cheat sheets for Waxing Hulls now's the time to post it. Thanks again for any and all information.

Also if anyone has any product info for waxing aluminum pipes, all suggestions welcomed. I used the whole bottle last year when I did this and I threw it out like a dumbaZZ so I don't remember what I used, but I "DO" remember it being very good.

I would suggest calling a detailer! for the price they charge now a days, it is not worth doing it yourself! lol

They will do the top side, hull and all around!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfishingusa
I would suggest calling a detailer! for the price they charge now a days, it is not worth doing it yourself! lol

They will do the top side, hull and all around!
Damn Vinnie, you must have money to burn

I agree with what was said above. You can't go wrong with 3M products.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

3M stuff is good but Colinte Fleet wax lasts the longest. The problem is it's a little more difficult to put on and take off and it's a 2 part system, cleaner then wax and you need to do both. If you just try to wax with out cleaning you are not going to get good results.

If the hull is black it may be chaulky and for that reason you may need to compound it first to remove the oxidation if it's really chaulky. If it's not the Colinite cleaning product should work just fine. If you decide to go with compounding then you don't need the Colinte cleaner just use the Colinite wax after compounding.

If you want to save your arms I would invest in one of those electric random orbitor waxers. Make sure you change the application pads frequenlty especially during the cleaning process as the get dirty.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 03-29-2010 at 11:36 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Best aluminum cleaner and protector I've found is Alumaguard.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

And if you have scum line around the water line, don't bother trying to compound them out. Use On-Off and make sure and wear gloves. Apply with a rag let it sit and before it dries just hose it off.. Then wax.

Works like magic and is good for any tough deck stains too. Just don't get it on you or any other metal or plastic parts of the boat or trailer.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-22-2010, 05:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Does anyone have experiece with Maquires Marine wax. I used 3M cleaner wax to get it all shined, but but found it a little bit of a pain to work with as far as getting it off if I let it dry to long. Results were great. I was just looking for something for mid-season touch up.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wax on a boat is old school. The newer polymer polishes last longer and are much easier to apply.

I have been VERy happy with nautical Ease products.

You can put 3-4 coats of polish on in the same amount of time you can put on a coat of wax.

Reaonably priced too and goes a long way.

Apply with a wheel (harbor freight carrys a very good orbital buffer) and remove by hand.

You need the wheel to get the polish up to temp to bond with the fiberglass.