NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Clamming - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Clamming

I started clamming this year with a friend and we did real well for a first year.
Found a bunch of areas on our own (and a little help from a few people), open grounds/waters, licenses, regulations, right equipment etc. We targeted hard shell clams, kids came on some trips and had a blast, got some exercise and ate well.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with softshell clams recently in the Navesink/Shrewsberry and northern Barnaget Bay . We are pondering giving it a go but wondering if we are wasting time searching around. Not asking for any spots (but PM if you feel generous).
Old 01-15-2021, 09:21 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Clamming

I had a buddy who tried with very little success in the area around the Goose Neck Bridge. That was about 5 years ago.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

What's a soft shell clam? Never knew they existed?

I only heard of Navesink clammers. And by law only east of the Oceanic Bridge is allowed.

The commercial guys are all over Sandy Hook Bay and the beginning of Shrewsbury between #1 can and 2 can of the Shrewsbury. Look for boats with sails made of blue tarps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsobitesBB View Post
I started clamming this year.... success with softshell clams recently in the Navesink/Shrewsberry and northern Barnaget Bay . We are pondering giving it a go but wondering if we are wasting time searching around. Not asking for any spots (but PM if you feel generous).
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 01-15-2021, 03:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

[QUOTE=Capt. Frank;556181]What's a soft shell clam?

I think he is talking about what they call "steamers" or "Ipswitch" clams up in New England. I've always called them "pisser clams".
Old 01-16-2021, 07:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The area east of the Oceanic was seasonally open to soft clam harvest
The territory was fiercely defended by the commercial clammers. New guy be warned. This was at least 15 years ago. Not sure if the fishery still exists.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Not sure what happened, but years ago when I lived in Union Beach if you walked along the tideline at low tide you were getting sprayed constantly.. Piss clams were everywhere, and I used to dig them up with ease, while digging the flats for bait.. Back then I wanted big hard shells for bait and could not find them, only soft clams which were not as good for bait in
Old 01-16-2021, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have never seen one clammer east of the oceanic bridge in 22 years of sea towing down there. They are almost exclusively Sand Hook Bay

There's a several low tide sand bars between the Oceanic Bridge and the junction of the rivers. All but one bar needs a boat to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Archer View Post
The area east of the Oceanic was seasonally open to soft clam harvest
The territory was fiercely defended by the commercial clammers. New guy be warned. This was at least 15 years ago. Not sure if the fishery still exists.
Big time hottie crabber
Old 01-16-2021, 12:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The ones with tails ... to me.. steamers or piss clams too. They are hard shelled. Just not as thick.

[QUOTE=Grateful Dad;556188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
What's a soft shell clam?

I think he is talking about what they call "steamers" or "Ipswitch" clams up in New England. I've always called them "pisser clams".
Big time hottie crabber
Old 01-16-2021, 01:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Captain Frank: East of Barley's Point, south of the Navesink and west of the Shrewsbury is a prime place for the sportsman hardshell clammer. When the tide is low they park in Rumson and wearing waders reach the flats. On a calm day with an early low tide I've seen upwards of 30 people clamming there.

One commercial guy anchors his boat about 100 yards west of the white hazard buoys and clams there for a few hours on occasion.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I know. I did not want to burn others' spots. Waders required.

usually the commercial guys drift to cover more bottom. That's what those tarps are hoisted up for. Wind catching

Quote:
Originally Posted by june181901 View Post
Captain Frank: East of Barley's Point, south of the Navesink and west of the Shrewsbury is a prime place for the sportsman hardshell clammer. When the tide is low they park in Rumson and wearing waders reach the flats. On a calm day with an early low tide I've seen upwards of 30 people clamming there.

One commercial guy anchors his boat about 100 yards west of the white hazard buoys and clams there for a few hours on occasion.
Big time hottie crabber