NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Spruce Run Creek dumping by Eastern Concrete - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-04-2017, 06:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Spruce Run Creek dumping by Eastern Concrete

Anyone who lives close by should grab a water sample as close to the discharge point as possible and keep it refrigerated. This company has an NJPDES permit (PI #46545), which means they have to monitor their discharges and submit the data to the state. If they are in violation of the permit, they face fines if they do not correct it. I noticed that one of the parameters they must monitor is total suspended solids. Judging by the color of Spruce Run Creek, they are likely in violation of that parameter at least. Keeping a water sample for future evidence may help should any legal action be taken against the quarry.

If it's any consolation, I would doubt there are any chemical parameters contaminating the water, with the possible exception of a few naturally-occurring metals.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Hookmanski!
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 08-04-2017, 06:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
Anyone who lives close by should grab a water sample as close to the discharge point as possible and keep it refrigerated. This company has an NJPDES permit (PI #46545), which means they have to monitor their discharges and submit the data to the state. If they are in violation of the permit, they face fines if they do not correct it. I noticed that one of the parameters they must monitor is total suspended solids. Judging by the color of Spruce Run Creek, they are likely in violation of that parameter at least. Keeping a water sample for future evidence may help should any legal action be taken against the quarry.

If it's any consolation, I would doubt there are any chemical parameters contaminating the water, with the possible exception of a few naturally-occurring metals.

Does a New Jersey Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit allow discharge to water supply feeds? Also I don't see a pipe at the point of the discharge in the video so I'm assuming they ran a line to the creek? Is this something they were allowed to do by the permit? Was this a regular activity?
Old 08-04-2017, 06:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomps View Post
Does a New Jersey Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit allow discharge to water supply feeds? Also I don't see a pipe at the point of the discharge in the video so I'm assuming they ran a line to the creek? Is this something they were allowed to do by the permit? Was this a regular activity?
All good questions. The specifics of the permit were not available online. If you want that information, you would need to request a copy of the original NJPDES permit application and approval from the DEP via an OPRA request.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 08-04-2017, 07:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I work for nj.com. can I help?
Old 08-04-2017, 07:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs down Re: Spruce Run Creek dumping by Eastern Concrete

Jigman, do what you can do please! This makes me want to liveline the owner of Eastern Concretes family dog! You know, take a family pet, cut it's legs off and spray paint it black so it looks like a baby seal! I'm hungry, need shark steaks...........
Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
I work for nj.com. can I help?
A write up on this would be pretty fantastic. I know the DEP is involved, as well as Raritan Headwaters Association. I spoke to a quarry employee who admitted to me that they were the ones pumping in the waste water. She also told me they are cooperating fully with the DEP to get everything cleaned up.

I think a story on this could be a really powerful tool to make sure they are held accountable for their actions. I would like to see them donate money to local organizations to help with cleanup efforts, re-stocking, and future preservation of this beautiful creek.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:45 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post

My girlfriends family ownes the property on the corner of van syckel and 635 it has a stream running through the property, it is private property but I'm more then willing to grab a sample for you guys
Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
I would like to see them donate money to local organizations to help with cleanup efforts, re-stocking, and future preservation of this beautiful creek.
what would you say the distance of the sediment affected stretch is?

when I first read "dumping by Eastern Concrete" I imagined a pile of debris that could be removed and properly disposed of but the coating shown in the video seems like it would require an 'Exxon Valdez' style wash and scrub job.

Last edited by tycomps; 08-05-2017 at 08:29 AM..
Old 08-05-2017, 09:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomps View Post
what would you say the distance of the sediment affected stretch is?

when I first read "dumping by Eastern Concrete" I imagined a pile of debris that could be removed and properly disposed of but the coating shown in the video seems like it would require an 'Exxon Valdez' style wash and scrub job.
The distance from where the waste was pumped in to where the creek empties into the reservoir is about 1.7 miles.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Submitted this link and info to a number of staff writers at nj.com. We'll see if it gets picked up...