NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout - fall stocking - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-09-2018, 11:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Trout - fall stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiPaoro View Post
I will be going with the Fly Pole and lots of flies...streamers.

Leaving the spinning rod home this time.
Bright streamers like grey ghosts or mickey finns or beadhead wooly buggers with some crystal flash tied in them usually work pretty well for the fall stockies right out of the truck.

I'll be out this weekend to harass them, time to leave the wild fish be so they can do the wild thing and breed the next generation. The stockies come in handy at times like these.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
If you want to fish, just get out there and fish. I have several times caught 2+ year old rainbows that I helped stock 10 minutes earlier. IMO the two week lockjaw is a myth.
I think it is highly dependent on water temps and levels. I have gotten the skunk and had banner days fishing stocking week during the fall.

Last edited by NJSquatch; 10-09-2018 at 06:30 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 06:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

In my limited experience fishing during stocking week, your best bet may be to be at the stocking point when the fish first get thrown in. They swim around aimlessly for 30-45 minutes before they settle in and shut down. I used a small brown plastic grub to catch four or five of them during such an occasion, I think it was because it kind of looked like a hatchery pellet. Maybe you could use a small brown fly, like an elk hair caddis or similar, to do the same. Best of luck!
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 10-09-2018, 07:26 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

While I have tomorrow off, I did try it for one hour today. I saw at least six guys trying to catch the stock trout. Only one landed and lots of unhappy guys. I hope to have a better fishing report tomorrow as I plan to hit the river first thing and will give a few different flies a go. I am optimistic will land one.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Trout - fall stocking

I gotta say I love Trout fishing. I’m usually out there by myself in the colder months, November-March! Most people would be surprised at how many fish you can catch during the colder months. You don’t have to wait for the stockies to get delivered in NJ.........
Old 10-10-2018, 05:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

little extra work and some patience will help when fishing the fall stocking. good luck and catch them up.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Trout - fall stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiPaoro View Post
While I have tomorrow off, I did try it for one hour today. I saw at least six guys trying to catch the stock trout. Only one landed and lots of unhappy guys. I hope to have a better fishing report tomorrow as I plan to hit the river first thing and will give a few different flies a go. I am optimistic will land one.
I said it before and I'll say it again. These are large fish with built up body fat that do not need to feed for at least 3 or 4 weeks. Then the leaves come down. Do yourself a favor and wait till at least November 1st to try for these fish.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
I think it is highly dependent on water temps and levels. I have gotten the skunk and had banner days fishing stocking week during the fall.
exactly. the weather and flows make the difference, that they were just stocked... not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again. These are large fish with built up body fat that do not need to feed for at least 3 or 4 weeks. Then the leaves come down. Do yourself a favor and wait till at least November 1st to try for these fish.
yeah every year i wonder why you say that haha. i think andy must actually be out there all oct catching them up and just wants the ribbers to himself!
Old 10-10-2018, 03:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Should be more water in the rivers than we've had over the last few years so that is good. Always have been a bit confused about the fall trout and never had great success. I have watched them be stocked on several occasions. Last year a friend and I fished a spot where we just witnessed them stock at least 100 fish about a hour prior. There wasn't even that much water around and the fish were gone? Saw almost none. Caught 1 and had a few follows, nothing else. Went to another spot the following morning only to find the area void of fish is spite of physically witnessing dozens put in. This just shows you they do spread out, even in low water conditions. There are a few that bite right away but the majority do not. If you can find them after Nov 1st you'll do well, thats a big IF however!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Trout - fall stocking

Here is a fall stocking photo from the North Branch from a few years ago. Easy to see how these fish spread out, even during low water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14610995_10207087938339863_1046172865957152952_n.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	128657