NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Proud of NJF today.... RIP LAB - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Proud of NJF today.... RIP LAB

ONCE AGAIN GUYS AND GALS.....

Just spoke to Mikes son Mick... He just finished reading all the comments here and said he had NO IDEA how many lives and hearts his dad touched

he asked me to sign on and let EVERYONE HERE KNOW How GRATEFUL he and the Family are for all the kind words AND THE SHOW OF SUPPORT.....

SO FROM THE WELLS FAMILY TO ALL....... THANK YOU VERY MUCH....

[B][COLOR="Red"]GODS SPEED MY BROTHER... LIFES A BEACH

Proud member of the 52lb on The Wall Club

dey eats my baits... I eats dem club

Member of the Monger Nation

PLANT ICE .... HARVEST WIND...JUST SAYING
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Proud of NJF today.... RIP LAB

The first time I met Mike was down at Ken's landing. I was getting off the boat and he said "How'd you do kid?". When I got home and figured out it was "LAB" I had met. I posted on the site about an hour later " I thought you were taller" his reply to me "Nope same size as you, 5 foot nuttin". How many people do you know, that you remember the first thing they ever said to you? That was Mike to me!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Rather than say unfortunately, I would like to say that I was fortunate enough to meet mike this past december on the PUOSU. I was there at the boat when he arrived and for sure, he ARRIVES, he doesnt just show up. At that time I was finally able to put the face to the name, the name that has had me doubled in laughter so many times on this site. Damn was he a fun and entertaining guy, and from what I experienced a HOF ball buster, starting with the fact that he called me "smell like a fish" and later "ll cool j". Unlike some, I could not even begin to muster anything but a smile and a laugh. Throughout that sunday and the following sunday, it became very clear that beneath the hard exterior was a gentle and caring mind and heart, when you would catch him in his quiet moments he was rather transparent to his true nature.

Truly a sad thing to see this MAN go. I really wish I could have had the chance to fish and talk with him more, even if the whole time he was breakin my stones. My condolences and prayers go out to the family, and all of us that were touched by Mike
Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Just logged onto the site so just seeing this terrible news. I don't post much the last few years, no time to fish anymore. Mike was one of the first people I ever met from this site. Fished the first couple PUOSU trips because he was nice enough to ask me to join. Sad day when you read this kind of stuff. Will take his 10,000 to 1 odds any day to win a PUOSU. My prayers go out to his family, friends and everyone on this site that he has had a positive influence on. There is a limit blackfish trip in heaven for him somewhere.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

On a web site where most do not use real names, I purchased a reel from LAB and he sent it with one of his drivers to a deli near where I worked for me to pick up and just trusted that I would mail him the check and that it would clear after it arrived.

Not many people have that much faith in others
Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

TTT:
Met Mike for the first time at the 2008 SSFFF Dinner, we had some discussion over fisheries management (which would continue until this ) and the upcoming fund raiser trip I was running. A month later
we are docking after a successful Striper Charter (sponser) trip at Garden State Marina and who else but Mike is waiting at the Dock. After a quick handshake and saying hello to the dogs and asking him to "turn that crappy music down" I notice the truck has more than a few setups in the back and say "hey you going out late today?"

He says "No stupid, those are for you to pick through and Raffle off on your fund raiser trip" How thoughtful was that for him to A) know I was on that trip and B) Go out of his way to even think about donating gear and delivering it to where I was at.

Have to admit: He also said " wipe that smile off your face, the Captain caught all those fish you just paid for the ride" "dats NOT U catching dats U reeling"

Vintage LAB
Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Site Sponsor

I have not been on the board for a bit and to see this is shocking news. My condolences go out to Mike, his family and his friends. I never met or fished with Mike but anyone who was able to be his friend or fish with him sure was lucky. So sorry to hear this news.

Capt Dave
captdave@relentlesscharters.com
(617) 462-7885
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Rip Lab
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken bobber
Great Idea Gerry.. the stories i have re endless.... and some I CANT EVEN MENTION HERE LOL......

while fishing tourneys or just out mike had no problem what so ever telling me hey there is so so... slow down and head over there, and when we as he would say, got in range, bam..... he would shoot a moon your way in histerical fashion, and if you were special to him you would get a shot of his "OSCAR GAMBLE" which we labeled his frontal pubic region...hahahaha...

i can see him now setting a hook on a fish and getting on his tippy toes while doing it..... snapping rod in half like no other.....always getting the first dogfish......just so many more things.....
Tom, I won't repeat it here, but were you there with Mike and "Wilson" the flounder? Funniest fishing story I've ever heard
Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My last memory of Lab was over the winter months. I needed a bushel last minute and Lab told me to drive down to point and take a bushel he had hanging and leave the money on the boat. He barely knew me. I left the money in a cigarette pack and put a 6 oz bank sinker in the pack so the wind wouldn't blow it away. I still have his text in my phone after he found the cigarette pack. LAB- " Could have left me at least a 10 oz" LOL That was LAB for ya. I never did get to return to him his crab net and rope. RIP Buddy you were one of a kind.