NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fishermans Rally; Wash DC March 21, 2012 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Fishermans Rally; Wash DC March 21, 2012

January 20, 2012

Plans set for March national fishing rally in D.C.
By Richard Gaines
Staff Writer The Gloucester Daily Times Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:14 PM EST

Commercial and recreational fishing interests today announced plans for a March 21 mass demonstration at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., to energize the push for amending the law that directs the regulation of America's fisheries, a little more than two years after the 2010 "United We Fish" rally turned up the national heat on regulatory and enforcement issues.

The 2012 "Keep Fishermen Fishing" rally was announced this morning in a release that focuses on the organizers' foes — "a handful of mega-foundations and the anti-fishing ENGOs (environmental non-government organizations) they support to drive fishermen off the water."

To do that, demonstration organizers contend, nonprofit giants such as Environmental Defense Fund have influenced the government to misinterpret the 1976 Magnuson-Stevens Fisheries and Conservation Act, which was amended significantly in 1996 and 2006.

Since the first mass rally, which drew as many as 5,000 participants on Feb. 23, 2010, the fisheries policies of the Obama administration — embodied by NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco, who came to office from academia and a board of director's post with EDF, have produced fierce resistance on the water and in Congress to the green-government power block.

Among the changes sought is the flexibility of time frames for rebuilding stocks, rather than clamping down fishing limits organizers say unduly harm the industry and fishing communities.

The most hotly disputed policy is the administration's effort to transform fishermen's catch into tradeable commodities through an allocation of catch shares.

The epicenter of the fight has become Massachusetts and New England, which came under a catch share regimen in 2010 and has been undergoing accelerated job loss and consolidation of control. But in the Southeast, the Gulf, the West Coast and Alaska, resistance has also continued to policies perceived to be influenced by corporate foundations and ENGO clients such EDF and the Pew Environment Group.

The Walton Foundation, founded by Wal-Mart heirs, has been a lead financier of EDF's promotion of catch share commodification.

The House of Representatives voted 231-131 in February 2011 to bar the launch of any new catch share programs, and a modified version of the ban was approved by the Senate during a continuing budget resolution.

A similar ban for fiscal 2012, however, was killed in November by parliamentary maneuvering.

As with the first rally, participants are expected from all three coasts and Alaska. The Recreational Fishing Alliance, based in New Jersey. is again handing the "red tape," permits, security and the like, according to the alliance's managing director Jim Hutchinson Jr.

"The initial Washington rally was a monumental success that helped put the plight of America's coastal fisherman and those in related businesses in the public eye," the rally announcement said. More than two dozen senators and representatives spoke at the 2010 demonstration.

"However, a continuous stream of regulatory requirements are leading to unnecessary and unacceptable restrictions in demonstrably sustainable fisheries," the announcement indicated. "As a consequence, the American public is being denied access to the food and fun of this tremendous natural resource.

"Most U.S. fisheries are in better shape biologically than they've been for a generation or more. In fact, last year NOAA Fisheries scientists announced that 84n percent of U.S. fish stocks studied for fishing activity were not experiencing overfishing as of 2010.

"However, despite the heavy sacrifices on the part of coastal fishermen," the announcement continued, "the same federal agency in charge of managing the resource has been using a broken law to mete out broken promises upon these constituents to ratchet down regulations as fisheries continue to rebuild."

Final details of the 2012 Keep Fishermen Fishing rally are being put in place, organizers said, including transportation from coastal communities across the country.

Anyone seeking more information on how they can get involved in the national rally, call 888-564-6732. For more information on the rally as it becomes available — including bus sign-up information and details from the 2010 rally — visit www.keepfishermenfishing.com.

We will update this story here at gloucestertimes.com as more information becomes available. To have a text update regarding this story or other local Breaking News coverage, just sign up for the Times' free text-alert service on the gloucestertimes.com homepage.

For more on this story, look to tomorrow's print and online editions of the Gloucester Daily Times and gloucestertimes.com.

Richard Gaines can be reached at 978-283-7000, x3464, or at rgaines@gloucestetimes.com.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fishermans Rally; Wash DC March 21, 2012

was at the last one who's going to join us this time

SHOW UP TO SUPPORT OUR FISHERIES OR DONT BITCH WHEN WE LOSE THEM

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'll Be There...
Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Was there last time, and will probably be there this time!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

will be there if I do not have any exams that day
Old 01-21-2012, 05:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I will be there
Old 01-21-2012, 07:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

So another Rally were Recreational Fisherman waste there money to go to D.C. and walk hand in Hand with Commercial guys who are rapeing our waters, killing off the bunker and have there pots on the reefs that Recreational Fisherman paid for! I just read a artical in a certain weekly fishing rag there is a good article in there written by Bill Figley "responce to pots off the reefs"
instead of spending your money and time to go to D.C. you should use your time and money to protest at the front of the NJ Assembly or the office of the guy holding up the bill to get the pots off of the reefs! His name is Nelson Albano from were else !! Cape May N.J.!! Mr. Nelson is a assemblyman and chairs the Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee.
My pet peave is all the bunker reduction boats killing all the bunker I did some looking into all the uses of bunker when i was checking for a new dog food for my new Lab and bunker kept coming up! bunker is used in everything and it needs to stop! but it is big money and big money for our poiticaions who get large sums of money to turn there head the other way when it comes time to vote one commercial bunker regulations!

I didnt walk last time and wouldn't walk this time I give my money to people that are helping to save our recreation fishing!

I'm probably going to get some flack for this responce but think about it before you comment its time to say its "us against the commercial guys" think of all the money and jobs recreational fisherman bring to N.J.!!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigman90
So another Rally were Recreational Fisherman waste there money to go to D.C. and walk hand in Hand with Commercial guys who are rapeing our waters, killing off the bunker and have there pots on the reefs that Recreational Fisherman paid for! I just read a artical in a certain weekly fishing rag there is a good article in there written by Bill Figley "responce to pots off the reefs"
instead of spending your money and time to go to D.C. you should use your time and money to protest at the front of the NJ Assembly or the office of the guy holding up the bill to get the pots off of the reefs! His name is Nelson Albano from were else !! Cape May N.J.!! Mr. Nelson is a assemblyman and chairs the Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee.
My pet peave is all the bunker reduction boats killing all the bunker I did some looking into all the uses of bunker when i was checking for a new dog food for my new Lab and bunker kept coming up! bunker is used in everything and it needs to stop! but it is big money and big money for our poiticaions who get large sums of money to turn there head the other way when it comes time to vote one commercial bunker regulations!

I didnt walk last time and wouldn't walk this time I give my money to people that are helping to save our recreation fishing!

I'm probably going to get some flack for this responce but think about it before you comment its time to say its "us against the commercial guys" think of all the money and jobs recreational fisherman bring to N.J.!!
hard to give you flack when most of your points are very valid.
Main problem is there is ALOT more going on where we are going to get the short end of the stick.
If catch shares goes through you can be sure our recreational days are numbered.
Right now it is important to fight to maintain the fisheries we both are utilizing, while also continuing to fight in other areas for our recreational purposes.

If 1/10 of the recs would show up at a funtion like this we would have a bigger voice. Problem is most recs wont reach into their pockets for a buck where commercial guys throw thousands in.

At least they are trying to do something to stop the government from taking away even more of the little we have left.

sometimes you have to bend in order to help your own cause

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Fishermans Rally; Wash DC March 21, 2012

"If 1/10 of the recs would show up at a funtion like this we would have a bigger voice. Problem is most recs wont reach into their pockets for a buck where commercial guys throw thousands in."
I dont get this comment the way I figure it is the rec fisherman keeps you in business. And commercial fisherman that is their business they should chip in thousands. How about all the tackle stores bait and fishing equipment such as daiwa etc the restaurants and stores like Dicks all of these people who benefit from fishing how many of these people showed up in Washington when we marched. Too only get 5000 people shoe up in Washington from the whole east coast is pathetic.

Last edited by Topeka Boy; 01-22-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topeka Boy
"If 1/10 of the recs would show up at a funtion like this we would have a bigger voice. Problem is most recs wont reach into their pockets for a buck where commercial guys throw thousands in."
I dont get this comment the way I figure it is the rec fisherman keeps you in business. And commercial fisherman that is their business they should chip in thousands. How about all the tackle stores bait and fishing equipment such as daiwa etc the restaurants and stores like Dicks all of these people who benefit from fishing how many of these people showed up in Washington when we marched. Too only get 5000 people shoe up in Washington from the whole east coast is pathetic.
*** POINT TAKEN ***