NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Re power - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-05-2015, 10:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re power

Thinking about re powering my 21 ft Lund center console. 2 things my transom is only 20 inch and I am not too thrilled with that. I was wondering on how hard it is to replace transome and make it 25inch? Was thinking on an e-Tec 135 ho. I currently have a 1990 evinrude 140 v-4. Was thinking I will get more power with new engine and 20-30 percent better mpg? Any thoughts on either ?

Thx
BC
Old 07-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Re power

Not sure how you are going to raise the transom especially if it's aluminum....

One thing you do need to beware of and that is every boat has a maximum horse power rating that is not to be exceeded. Most recommend that you be within 75% of that rating or greater for best performance.

As far as economy, any newer technology engine should give you the 20 - 30% you are looking for. Etec is a 2 stroke and claims as good or better fuel economy then the new 4 strokes.

Etec is a good choice for smaller boats being re powered from older 2 strokes since 2 strokes in general weigh less then a 4 stroke of equal horsepower. Engine weight, especially in smaller boats does make a big difference.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 07-08-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Old 07-08-2015, 01:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Not sure how much more real usable power you'll get out of the etec 135 (unless your old outboard is getting tired), but as far as the efficiency goes, you can buy a lot of gas for the cost of that new motor.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 07-09-2015, 10:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

As pointed out, a new motor can buy a lot of gas for the old motor. And trying to make your old boat into something it is not is almost always a costly mistake.

And if you just want a new motor.. your mind is kind of made up and you're looking to find more reasons to do what you already decided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Not sure how you are going to raise the transom especially if it's aluminum....

One thing you do need to beware of and that is every boat has a maximum horse power rating that is not to be exceeded. Most recommend that you be within 75% of that rating or greater for best performance.

As far as economy, any newer technology engine should give you the 20 - 30% you are looking for. Etec is a 2 stroke and claims as good or better fuel economy then the new 4 strokes.

Etec is a good choice for smaller boats being re powered from older 2 strokes since 2 strokes in general weigh less then a 4 stroke of equal horsepower. Engine weight, especially in smaller boats does make a big difference.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 07-24-2015, 04:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Give me a PM if you need some help, I can get some motors wholesale depending on HP. Remember you will need all new controls, wiring, cables, so figure that into price too. Not sure what year the boat is but sometimes its best to go with a slightly used engine, many have 5yr warranty and are transferrable and all newer motors have an ECU and the data for hours, at what rpms, any codes, over revs, etc can be scanned in 5 min and u know what your getting, many good deals out there. BTW you cant make that boat into a 25" hull, theres no way, and u wont gain anything, if you are getting water over the stern a set of wave wackers will do the trick perfectly for you. Check and see what the max HP is on the plackard by the drivers console and post it back up. The etecs are nice BUT id look for a 4stroke and HP for HP the etecs are the most expensive followed by yamaha. Mercury and suzukis are better priced and easy to find parts, controls, etc and Ive been running mercs on all my boats except 1 with no issues ever, the other motor was a 4stroke suzuki and was the best engine by far w great power
Old 07-24-2015, 10:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Re power

Jimmy- thanks for the tips, plate says up to 200hp. I would almost be scared to open it up with a new 200hp. I get up to 36mph with a few folks and fuel with a 1990 140hp evinrude. The reason I wasooking for an etec is a buddy of mine has a 115 and push his 19ft boat along pretty good! I am always Leary of used motors, I take care on my stuff but not everyone. I did see a 135 ho etec installed for 10k even include controls etc. if I could get a new 2/3 year old 150 for like 8k installed that would be perfect ! When time comes I will pm you. Thx again
Old 07-25-2015, 09:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Id bet your buddys boat would move along w any 115, the etecs are nothing special, on some hulls they are actually slower than a merc or yammie all depends on how its setup up and how high motor is set w the right prop. I actually priced a motor for a guy today my guy in LI has 150 optimax brand new for 8500 cash and carry. Youd need about 750 for cables controls and they have 5 yr warrantys. Theres lots of motors around that are in good shape, you just make the seller bring it to your choice of marina and spend 200 bucks for a scan and a compression test and look over, very hard to hide things from experienced mechanics/marinas especially on newer stuff, it sticks out like a sore thumb
Old 10-01-2015, 07:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ive had my 140 hp susuki 4 stroke since 2004.Not one problem at all.Great fuel economy.Its so quiet sometimes we just let it run all day.Best engine ive ever had.