NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Another Nj Tax on the boating industry - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-02-2017, 06:23 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Another Nj Tax on the boating industry

Frank I respect your thoughts and understand exactly what your saying. Is this or is this not a tax on just one entity? If it is then is this not exactly like the former luxury tax? Why then is it permitted to happen? My support for what I'm say is clear, if off road diesel is being charged to the marine industry then why is it not being charged for everyone that use road machinery or farm equipment? Are taxes to be levied equally across the board? No has been trying for years to get money from the marine industry, maybe it's time to stop them! Your an attorney file a class action law suit hell I'll send money!
Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You're dead on accurate on who this effects most. Hi end recreational boaters. Most diesels are privately owned. And A six pack license alone does not make you immune and get refund on all your purchased fuel.

Yes it hits and was likely aimed at exactly that population since majority of boaters are gasoline powered.

Luxury tax? If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and look like a duck could it be called a gerbil? YOU ARE CORRECT. Just the victim field is smaller than you thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea-Sea View Post
Frank I respect your thoughts and understand exactly what your saying. Is this or is this not a tax on just one entity? If it is then is this not exactly like the former luxury tax? Why then is it permitted to happen? My support for what I'm say is clear, if off road diesel is being charged to the marine industry then why is it not being charged for everyone that use road machinery or farm equipment? Are taxes to be levied equally across the board? No has been trying for years to get money from the marine industry, maybe it's time to stop them! Your an attorney file a class action law suit hell I'll send money!
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 09-05-2017, 06:47 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

So how do we beat it like the luxury tax was beaten? I know taxation is supposed to be even across the board, never is! How do we rally boat owners and fisherman. Most think price is going up because of Houston and Harvey. How do we educate the unknowing?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Taxes are for government to make more spending money. Many, if not most times the tax money brought in has nothing to do with the workings of who is being taxed.

A better area to get after would be electric vehicles. We are taxed at pump for highway maintenance due to our usage. Electric vehicles are paying nothing, while they use as much as they would like free of any contribution.

Hybrids are even more complicated.
Big time hottie crabber
Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Sorry Frank but again not answering the question. Your an attorney can a suit be filed to try to stop this and why not you to lead the fight?
Old 09-07-2017, 10:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You can legally sue anybody for anything. Many are frivolous.

Question- who is the identified class being discriminated against?
Q2- Are they an established "Protected class" that had been discriminated against that the court will review with "heightened scrutiny"?

There's your first two hurdles to even have a class certified, notwithstanding the merits of the case. The court must certify the class, and then certify representative individual cases as samples. Still notwithstanding the merits.
Big time hottie crabber
Old 09-08-2017, 05:16 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Your first answer is just the recreational boater! We were taxed unfairly as a group. We were the only group that was taxed!
Old 09-08-2017, 10:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you read the "legislative intent" that make it always creates an illusion why this tax was chosen. Some times they don't even call it a tax, its a use fee. ha ha.

I know it's not helping. But you are being attacked by people with legal weapons. Remember that pseudo criminal Corzine as governor put plans in place to double parkway tolls every few years? They bitched about it. He decided to quit and be something else again. But we still are stuck with it. No one repealed it.

They don't want to. STuff like this lead people to Trump who were sick of this crap. Now they are dumping their crap on Trump. Can't do a damn thing with the leeches WE have ELECTED in DC.

Another novel legal argument recently was the NYC subway fare increase discriminates against minorities who use it most. DE FACTO discrimination like we have here. That died too, albeit true it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea-Sea View Post
Your first answer is just the recreational boater! We were taxed unfairly as a group. We were the only group that was taxed!
Big time hottie crabber
Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

So I guess we should all just bend over and take it right up our a--!