NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Landlocked Salmon - Tilton, Waywayanda & Aeroflex Lake Question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 01:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Landlocked Salmon - Tilton, Waywayanda & Aeroflex Lake Question

Hey Everyone,

Quick question..I do not have a boat or kayak at this time (probably not for a while) and I was wondering, has anyone ever had any luck catching a keeper Landlocked Salmon & Rainbows from the shores, the docks or wading in a little bit?

I know they like deeper water and I am pretty certain I would not be able to get out there by just wading.

Any help would be apprecaited as I would love to reel one of these babies in!
Old 06-30-2016, 01:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Landlocked Salmon - Tilton, Waywayanda & Aeroflex Lake Question

Prob wrong time of year for that. Winter maybe before the freeze and right after ice out.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
Prob wrong time of year for that. Winter maybe before the freeze and right after ice out.
Thanks Jigman, timing of year is one thing, but I was more interested to know if it were possible to hook up with them from land or docks without having a vessel to get me out to the middle.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

tilcon is probably the only lake with good access to deep water from shore but it is still fairly wild and you will probably be doing some bush wacking. waywayanda does have a boat rental and i have heard of guys catching even in summer in the deep water. i don't have much experience with aeroflex but what i do know is that it is very weedy along the edges so shore fishing may be tough. but like jigman said, better luck in spring, fall and winter.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

you can rent kayaks and boats at aeroflex. they even have bait...prices seemed reasonable to me.

you are going to have a tough time from shore...there are a few spots but it requires a long hike and very narrow casting lanes

Last edited by NJSquatch; 07-01-2016 at 08:48 AM..
Old 06-30-2016, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This time of the year catching them from shore is not likely. You'd probably need a boat with lead core or a downrigger for a realistic chance. Wawayanda rents boats, but getting the bait down deep enough without a DR or lead core will still be an issue. You can try a heavy weight (2 - 4 oz) on a three way swivel with a herring or spoon on it from a boat. That will get you down deep.

But who knows, find a spot from shore with a deep drop off and fish a Power Bait or herring on the bottom and maybe you'll be surprised.

Last edited by briansnat; 06-30-2016 at 09:58 PM..
Old 07-01-2016, 08:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for all of the input everyone! I did see that Waywayanda offers boat rentals, so I am thinking that would be a definite possibility. I am assuming it would be a slow troll since only electric motors are allowed...No problem getting the line down, I have plenty of heavy planers from salt water fishing I could use. It sounds like it would be a blast!

What # test do you think I should set up for them?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

ive caught plenty of them in aeroflex in the past years, I only fish it once or twice a year anyway. My preferred method in summer is to liveline herring near steep dropoffs where bait is present. Ive caught them in 25-30ft close to shore this way, and in the middle of open water, they follow the bait and thats what they mainly relate to. In other bodies of water that have a stocked trout population, you will have to pick thru the stockies to get to the landlocks. I saw u mention "keeper" size, they dont come easy and I throw everything back anyway
Old 07-01-2016, 11:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
ive caught plenty of them in aeroflex in the past years, I only fish it once or twice a year anyway. My preferred method in summer is to liveline herring near steep dropoffs where bait is present. Ive caught them in 25-30ft close to shore this way, and in the middle of open water, they follow the bait and thats what they mainly relate to. In other bodies of water that have a stocked trout population, you will have to pick thru the stockies to get to the landlocks. I saw u mention "keeper" size, they dont come easy and I throw everything back anyway
Thanks Jimmy. I appreciate it. what pound test do you use? I am going to have to buy a bigger rod and reel since all i have right now is an ultra light up to 4lb test.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/f...ktrtsalmon.pdf

Never gotten to do it myself
Would want a depth finder. Gonna try this fall prob. Good luck if you go. If so, bring bass gear. Haven't been in a few years, but that lake has some big bass if u walk
Closed Thread