NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

4th of July suggestions - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 06-26-2014, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default 4th of July suggestions

Gerry- if in wrong forum please relocate

My wife asked if this year we could take the boat out with the kids to see the fire works Friday the 4th. We dock in Morgan in raritan bay and we were wondering what suggestions everyone had on where to drop the hook for the show. Not concerned about navigating at night since I have experience, have radar and chart plotter but am very worried about those out partying and being a tad wild. Of course weather, and wind will become a factor as if conditions aren't right my wife won't want to leave the back Bay Area. So if anyone has back bay or mid bay ideas and want to share let me know.

Last edited by captainsteve25; 06-26-2014 at 07:29 PM..
Old 06-27-2014, 06:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 4th of July suggestions

Perth Amboy and South Amboy combine forces ($$$$$$) and do a big show on the 3rd. Keansburg usually has a good show on the 4th.

If you go to Keansburg stay by the point and you will be able to see fireworks all over the south shore of Staten Island too. Atlantic Highlands has a big one too on the 4th (fireman's fair)
Old 06-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Great suggestions from Giants fan above. To 2 places that I steer clear of are NYC and Red Bank because it's gets so crazy once the fireworks are over. Both these places get this way because of the sheer volume of boats and the areas have fairly narrow channels to maneuver in. Add a few cocktails to this and throw in some agressive and inexperienced boaters and it gets crazy.

Atlantic Highlands fireworks which are on the 4th this year are a lot better. Pretty good water all around the area for the boats to spread out and they put on an awesome show.

A few things you need to watch out for on you return trip back trough Raritan Bay is the Earle Naval weapons peer and the unlit buoys out in front of it and this year the dredges and all their pipes and pumps off Keansburg.

If you want to give that a shot this year a chart plotter with tracks turned on will make for a much safer and less tense trip. Turn your tracks on and on your way out and be careful to give any obstructions a wide birth and follow your tracks home. You also want to make sure all your nav lights are in good working order too.

Good luck and have fun... Seeing the fireworks on the water is the best.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-27-2014, 07:49 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks gents. I will see if we can do both third and forth since they are both close to port.