NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tips for the Delaware - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-18-2019, 10:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Tips for the Delaware

Hey y’all, so my mom just moved into a house on the Delaware, on the PA side just south of frenchtown. Riverfront property, right next to public access and a boat launch, with private property and river access as well (aka a fisherman’s dream ).

I have very little experience fishing the big D, but I gave it a go today. The water was pretty clear, and pretty crowded with tubers and kayakers. Threw a bunch of different things, including ned rigs, soft plastic craws, topwater, spinners and more. I was wading out about waste deep and the water was pretty warm. The river seems to get pretty deep out in the middle but I wasn’t sure how deep as the current was moving pretty good despite the seemingly low water levels. I did hook up with a smallmouth on a kastmaster, but he came off.

I would love to hear stories and knowledge about the river as it seems like it’s an amazing fishery, and I’m going to be able to fish it a bit more often now. Let me know if you’re interested in fishing there too, I certainly have the connection!
Old 08-19-2019, 06:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Tips for the Delaware

Early morning or night fishing is the way to go this time of year. I like to look for eddies and current breaks. Also like deep holes. Be prepared to lose gear especially fishing from shore. If you have access to a canoe or kayak it helps to get out away from the shore in some areas. I've had the best luck fishing jigs and swim shads near bottom . Crank baits work well especially when bait is present. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Throwing big stuff in the Easton/P-burg area in December years back, great river, you are so lucky !!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big bt.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	136572  
Old 08-19-2019, 12:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Throwing big stuff in the Easton/P-burg area in December years back, great river, you are so lucky !!!!!!!!!
X2, put your time in and you will be rewarded. BIG FISHIES in that river!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delaware040118.jpg (20.2 KB, 282 views)
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 08-20-2019, 06:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

A light action set up with 6lb. test. Bait the hook with a live Hellagramite or Crayfish. If needed use a small splitshot sinker. You will want to drift the bait as natural as possible. You will be amazed on how many fish you catch.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Wow nice brown!!! I wonder if i'll be able to find any as far down as the Frenchtown area. And you're welcome to come fish sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
X2, put your time in and you will be rewarded. BIG FISHIES in that river!
NICE one! Offer stands for you as well Lard, come fish sometime! I'd love to learn from a master like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWole View Post
A light action set up with 6lb. test. Bait the hook with a live Hellagramite or Crayfish. If needed use a small splitshot sinker. You will want to drift the bait as natural as possible. You will be amazed on how many fish you catch.
Noted! I haven't done much bait fishing but will definitely give it a try at some point. Any idea where to get crayfish or hellgramites? Or do you catch them yourself?

If anyone wants to fish this spot, let me know! I'd be happy to get you in
Old 08-20-2019, 10:57 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

HI Way Sport Shop Route 31
Old 08-20-2019, 11:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWole View Post
HI Way Sport Shop Route 31
I know exactly where that is, I grew up in Glen Gardner and went there with my father as a kid, passed it many times since. I'll have to stop in on the way next time. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

down below you at bulls island, you have a wing dam and Lambertville a wing dam. Good fishing there, also good carp fishing under milford bridge just north of Frenchtown. Also on the jersey side under the milford bridge, deeper water than Frenchtown bridge, used to live almost across from the boat launch in upper black eddy just south of the milford bridge. canal in back of your mom's used to have a good population of carp, not sure if they are still back there. over in Frenchtown if coming from pa make your first right, go down to where 2 small creeks flow into the river, about 1/4 mile down gravel road caught smallies there. Cabin creek jigs work well in the river
Old 08-20-2019, 04:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Big D is my home turf!! Awesome fishery once you take the time to learn it and learn the habits of the fish and were they stage throughout the year. Like mentioned above this time of year is a first light or night fishery! To much activity during day with tubers, swimmers, and kayakers. Have fun fishing the D, one of those spots were u never know what's going to be on end of your line when you set the hook!!