NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Moving out! (to pikeville) - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-13-2018, 06:24 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Moving out! (to pikeville)

My ex-neighbor used to do really well on his kayak through the Fairfield area. I think chatter baits and spinner baits were his lures of choice. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod View Post
My ex-neighbor used to do really well on his kayak through the Fairfield area. I think chatter baits and spinner baits were his lures of choice. Good luck.
Any ideas where to park and launch a kayak from in the Fairfield area? There is a dirt lot at Two Bridges Road where the Passiac & Pompton rivers meet that I was thinking of trying. Just don't know much about that area. Should I head up or down river from there?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:53 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Best tip I can give you is be prepared. Have a good set of pliers handy, not a chincy pair of forceps. A lot of times they will totally engulf the lure, so having something that can get deep down there to remove the plug is critical.

Also, be ready to handle a bigger, stronger freshwater fish than you're used to. That, plus teeth. It kills me when I see Bass guys catch a Pike and the poor fish gets the Shake n' Bake treatment flopping on the ground. That can also mean a death sentence to an otherwise healthy fish. If you don't have a landing net, be prepared to grab the fish by holding it like the picture below. It is the best way to have control of the fish. If done correctly, your fingers are nowhere near teeth. Stay away from boga grips, Pike tend to spin and thrash like crazy on them. I've seen broken jaws and holes in mouths from Bogas.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 02-14-2018, 10:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks for those pics. I'll give that a try.
I have never picked up a pike with one hand because I know one of us will get hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post
Old 02-15-2018, 11:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post
Best tip I can give you is be prepared. Have a good set of pliers handy, not a chincy pair of forceps. A lot of times they will totally engulf the lure, so having something that can get deep down there to remove the plug is critical.

Also, be ready to handle a bigger, stronger freshwater fish than you're used to. That, plus teeth. It kills me when I see Bass guys catch a Pike and the poor fish gets the Shake n' Bake treatment flopping on the ground. That can also mean a death sentence to an otherwise healthy fish. If you don't have a landing net, be prepared to grab the fish by holding it like the picture below. It is the best way to have control of the fish. If done correctly, your fingers are nowhere near teeth. Stay away from boga grips, Pike tend to spin and thrash like crazy on them. I've seen broken jaws and holes in mouths from Bogas.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful!! I can't wait to get out there and catch one
Old 02-15-2018, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
Any ideas where to park and launch a kayak from in the Fairfield area? There is a dirt lot at Two Bridges Road where the Passiac & Pompton rivers meet that I was thinking of trying. Just don't know much about that area. Should I head up or down river from there?
Down in Little Falls there is a park, Suchorsky Park, that has a public boat ramp. Its a bit downstream from Fairfield, but I don't think the paddle up to the confluence would take too long!
Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

NJDF&W launches our electrofishing boat @ 2 Camp Ln, Fairfield, NJ 07004.
Owned by Fairfield, it was gated & locked (emergency launch only), but someone tore down the gate.

Wide open the last 2 years we launched there.

Collected this N. Pike (36.3 “, 14.4 lb.) just upstream of there in fall 2016.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Passaic R. N. Pike.jpg (20.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
NJDF&W launches our electrofishing boat @ 2 Camp Ln, Fairfield, NJ 07004.
Owned by Fairfield, it was gated & locked (emergency launch only), but someone tore down the gate.

Wide open the last 2 years we launched there.

Collected this N. Pike (36.3 “, 14.4 lb.) just upstream of there in fall 2016.
I saw that ramp the other day when I was scouting, but not sure how it would be to leave my Jeep parked there while out on the river.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
I saw that ramp the other day when I was scouting, but not sure how it would be to leave my Jeep parked there while out on the river.
I can’t say.

We left the State van w/ trailer there for hours & had no problems.

No gate for years, then after complaints about guys shooting from boats, they put up the locked gate. I used to have to call Fairfield Public Works to unlock it.

After the gate was torn down, I got the impression from Fairfield Public Works that they gave up keeping people out,……….they weren’t going to erect a new gate.