NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tough day on the water - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Tough day on the water

Went out Sat for a trip to the Chicken for some sharking, trolling and whatever. New powerheads on my engine and I was ready to go. Left to dock at 4:30 A.M. for a great ride out. 40 mph all the way. I was out in less than two hours. 1.5 miles short of my destination I heard a loud pop and the starboard engine rev'd high. S##t it seems as I blew the lower unit. We hung out and fished for a couple of hour to no avail. It was time for the long run back. 68 miles on a single engine. 14.4 mph all the way. finally we rounded the tip of the hook and BANG, the other lower unit went. we are now powerless with an oil tanker looming toward us. seconds before impact a coast guard reserve pulled us out of the way. We waited with the coast guard till tow boat showed up to tow me back to the marina.

The good news:
Tow boat ins = No Charge for the tow
Almars outboards whom replaced the power heads gave a 3 year warranty on the whole engine. the boat is ready for pick up with brand new lower units at no cost. Wow, what a weekend
Old 07-16-2015, 07:23 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Tough day on the water

Glad you all made it back safe. Must have been a long ride @ 14 knots.

Also nice to know that your outboard place is standing behind their work.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Glad u made it back safe , and i heard all good things about almars , might repower there myself if i go with merc again ,
Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wow you run 40 knots in the dark(430am)? That's ballsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygaff View Post
Went out Sat for a trip to the Chicken for some sharking, trolling and whatever. New powerheads on my engine and I was ready to go. Left to dock at 4:30 A.M. for a great ride out. 40 mph all the way. I was out in less than two hours. 1.5 miles short of my destination I heard a loud pop and the starboard engine rev'd high. S##t it seems as I blew the lower unit. We hung out and fished for a couple of hour to no avail. It was time for the long run back. 68 miles on a single engine. 14.4 mph all the way. finally we rounded the tip of the hook and BANG, the other lower unit went. we are now powerless with an oil tanker looming toward us. seconds before impact a coast guard reserve pulled us out of the way. We waited with the coast guard till tow boat showed up to tow me back to the marina.

The good news:
Tow boat ins = No Charge for the tow
Almars outboards whom replaced the power heads gave a 3 year warranty on the whole engine. the boat is ready for pick up with brand new lower units at no cost. Wow, what a weekend
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 07-16-2015, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Radar, but you could see good by 5:00. Yea Almars is the best