NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Indian Lake Little Ferry Report 5/19/19 - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-30-2019, 03:53 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Indian Lake Little Ferry Report 5/19/19

NJ F&W got back to me about the lack of fish. They forwarded my info to the hatcheries to see what can be done. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Today while headed home i saw 2 men with hip waders get into the lake near the corner by the laundry mat. They had some long net looking thing on sticks. Didnt get to see what they were doing but they were from NJ F&W as the truck was parked nearby.

And on a side not a week ago my son and i were watching a mom and son gishm mom was dropping small hooks directly below the dock and pulling up baby catfish. So theres hope!
Old 09-01-2019, 10:45 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve392 View Post
NJ F&W got back to me about the lack of fish. They forwarded my info to the hatcheries to see what can be done. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Today while headed home i saw 2 men with hip waders get into the lake near the corner by the laundry mat. They had some long net looking thing on sticks. Didnt get to see what they were doing but they were from NJ F&W as the truck was parked nearby.

And on a side not a week ago my son and i were watching a mom and son gishm mom was dropping small hooks directly below the dock and pulling up baby catfish. So theres hope!
GOOD! About time this state stocks the waterways again! I pay too much taxes for this hahahahaha
Old 09-03-2019, 10:04 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I got a reply from njdep/f&w today.

"Biologist Scott Collenburg informed me that recent seining showed an abundance of sunfish. Scott is recommending the stocking of Largemouth Bass, and either Channel or Brown Bullhead Catfish, to supplement the fishery. Timing is dependent on the availability of fish from the Hackettstown hatchery.

If you have questions you can contact Scott at 908-236-2118. PT"
Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I hope they can do this. The amount of plant growth coming up from the lake bottom is horrendous. It has never been like this in the nearly 25 years i've lived here. We've had algae/seaweed before along the shores on some summers but not what looks like pine tree's growing from the lake floor all over.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:09 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
I hope they can do this. The amount of plant growth coming up from the lake bottom is horrendous. It has never been like this in the nearly 25 years i've lived here. We've had algae/seaweed before along the shores on some summers but not what looks like pine tree's growing from the lake floor all over.
Overpeck creek has the same problem. HORRIBLE Weed bloom. The fishing there this summer has been awful I go for bass but I heard talk from other anglers there that every year the weeds get worse and worse.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:30 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenBassin View Post
Overpeck creek has the same problem. HORRIBLE Weed bloom. The fishing there this summer has been awful I go for bass but I heard talk from other anglers there that every year the weeds get worse and worse.
I noticed this while crossing it on route 46. I've never seen weeds/algae along the shorelines in all the years i've lived here.

I want to do something with the lake by me. Used a rake or something to pull this crap out. There is one large portion where it is covered shore to shore.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I noticed this while crossing it on route 46. I've never seen weeds/algae along the shorelines in all the years i've lived here.

I want to do something with the lake by me. Used a rake or something to pull this crap out. There is one large portion where it is covered shore to shore.
I work in Fort Lee and have been fishing overpeck almost daily for the past three years. The algae this summer is def. the worst it’s been in the three years I have fished there but every summer there is some algae growth that starts along the shoreline and then gradually creeps out further into the lake until water temps cool in the fall.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:48 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by logs22 View Post
I work in Fort Lee and have been fishing overpeck almost daily for the past three years. The algae this summer is def. the worst it’s been in the three years I have fished there but every summer there is some algae growth that starts along the shoreline and then gradually creeps out further into the lake until water temps cool in the fall.
I've tried so hard to fish overpeck creek for bass and it's been a nightmare. The weeds keep getting stuff snagged and the rowing people act like they own the park and don't allow fishing on the docks near the kayak area, the fishing pier is completely submerged with vegetation.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:53 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:

Did the State ever get back to you about the Indian Lake restocking situation? I was there yesterday and I saw the Weed bloom first hand. This is awful. The lake has always had an algae problem but I feel like the lack of fish is responsible for the weed bloom. Saw a schools of minnows and sunfish though so there's definitely baitfish for stocked bass and catfish to thrive on.

Also the Carp population was wiped out by the fish kill, which could also add points to the weed bloom since they're bottom feeders. They probably controlled the weeds.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenBassin View Post
I've tried so hard to fish overpeck creek for bass and it's been a nightmare. The weeds keep getting stuff snagged and the rowing people act like they own the park and don't allow fishing on the docks near the kayak area, the fishing pier is completely submerged with vegetation.
I have had opposite experience. Overpeck has been one of my most consistent producers past two years. Granted I definitely fish it more than anywhere else. I have never fished from the ‘fishing pier’ only from the kayak rental pier, the public kayak launch pier, or the pier across the lake where the crews row from. Never had an issue fishing those spots usually very early in AM or evening though. have landed a fare share of 3.5-4.5 lb LMBs and even a few stripers. This time of year the docks are your only hope of getting past the muck. Plenty along the edges though.