NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

NJ Holdovers - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-25-2020, 08:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default NJ Holdovers

A good amount of people seem to think NJ has no holdover potential. While running errands yesterday I ended up driving through the area I grew up in. I had the rod in the car so I decided to check out some of my old favorite holes with the 15 minutes i had to spare. Now this river is trout stocked in the spring, but not in the fall. Water was very very low, but cold and clear. Walked up to the first hole and was shocked to see so many rainbow trout pulsing in the current, rising to feed on flies. At least a dozen. They weren't interested in the trout magnet, but a little smallmouth who was living with them was.

Moved down to the second hole, another dozen trout and a huge school of suckers. One trout shot out from under some structure and swiped at my jig, the biggest in the pool, but missed and after 10 more casts towards his hideout he never came back out.

A lot of people in NJ seem to think holdovers aren't a thing, that they don't make it to the fall. These were two extremely popular holes and they were chock full of them still. This stream is very similar to many others in the state, so if these trout could make it through this summer I imagine many others do too. What do you think?
Old 09-25-2020, 10:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: NJ Holdovers

I think the people that say there are no holdovers are talking about the majority of waters and the majority of fish. It's stupid to say that zero trout have survived the summer anywhere in the state. However, saying there are no holdover trout is accurate as a figure of speech. Most waters don't allow for holdover trout to survive and the ones that do have extremely small populations. You seem to have found the exception to the rule.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

id have to agree with them that the MAJORITY of trout dont holdover. but there's still a surprising amount that do, and especially surprising in non-trout waters.

The perseverance that trout have, and the mystery of where they are, really makes wild/holdover trout fishing incomparably fun.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALK11 View Post
I think the people that say there are no holdovers are talking about the majority of waters and the majority of fish. It's stupid to say that zero trout have survived the summer anywhere in the state. However, saying there are no holdover trout is accurate as a figure of speech. Most waters don't allow for holdover trout to survive and the ones that do have extremely small populations. You seem to have found the exception to the rule.
I agree with you there are definitely a lot of places they cant holdover/holdover in small numbers. But i also think there are more places they can holdover in than people realize!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
id have to agree with them that the MAJORITY of trout dont holdover. but there's still a surprising amount that do, and especially surprising in non-trout waters.

The perseverance that trout have, and the mystery of where they are, really makes wild/holdover trout fishing incomparably fun.
Yeah thats what I'm saying, a lot more holdover than people realize. Love searching for them!
Old 09-25-2020, 10:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The larger trout stocked streams in NNJ are on margin a lot of times too, some of the hot and dry summers really do impacts on them. The streams have potential to holdover more trout, but bad conditions and also the suburban developments hurt it. It's cool though how despite the worst conditions there's still plenty that hold over.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
The larger trout stocked streams in NNJ are on margin a lot of times too, some of the hot and dry summers really do impacts on them. The streams have potential to holdover more trout, but bad conditions and also the suburban developments hurt it. It's cool though how despite the worst conditions there's still plenty that hold over.
Well said
Old 09-26-2020, 06:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALK11 View Post
This guy is right. Ask Capt. Lou, who I would wager $1000 has spent more time over the past five years on NJ's streams than anyone else, and he will tell you that 99.99% of the trout he's caught have been standard, spring-stocked rainbows.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:18 AM
NJFishing.com Member

All well said. I had the same experience last weekend. Couldn't believe the amount of trout I was seeing before I got off the beaten path. I also think it speaks for how savvy this trout can become once they figure out their not in the hatchery.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Awesome man!

There are quite a few streams and rivers that easily hold over trout, in addition to populations of wild fish as well.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:14 AM
NJFishing.com Member

All depends on that's particular body of water. I know streams wild browns out number the stockys 10-1, time is 1 thing location is another