NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Check Your Bonding Wires - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Check Your Bonding Wires

If you leave your boat in the water make sure you check your bonding wires and connections.. This goes for outboard, I/O or Inboards. Your bonding system is important since it protects all the metals that are under the water line from Galvanic Corrosion.

Bonding systems tie all under water metals like though hulls, rudders, drives etc back to your zincs so they get sacrificed before they do.

Was down at the marina today and had 2 wires that went to bond the trim tabs and the rudders that corroded off the connector and had to be re connected.

I've seen all sorts of issues resulting from improper connections.

Had a buddy with twin outboards who kept them titled up and out of the water and thought he was safe.... Turns out the the mounts where the outboards mounted to the transom were in the water and not protected and after one short season they had corroded away and had to replace them.

I've seen IOs get eaten up and inboard props and shafts suffer the same as well as metal through hulls.

Do yourself a favor and check all your bonding system wires or you could be in for a very expensive surprise....

See more here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjtvYr95PLs

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-10-2018, 10:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Check Your Bonding Wires

All good stuff.

And DON'T PAINT the Dyna plate that ties it all to the water on the bottom of the boat's hull with wires running into the boat's electrical system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
If you leave your boat in the water make sure you check your bonding wires and connections.. This goes for outboard, I/O or Inboards. Your bonding system is important since it protects all the metals that are under the water line from Galvanic Corrosion.

Bonding systems tie all under water metals like though hulls, rudders, drives etc back to your zincs so they get sacrificed before they do.

Was down at the marina today and had 2 wires that went to bond the trim tabs and the rudders that corroded off the connector and had to be re connected.

I've seen all sorts of issues resulting from improper connections.

Had a buddy with twin outboards who kept them titled up and out of the water and thought he was safe.... Turns out the the mounts where the outboards mounted to the transom were in the water and not protected and after one short season they had corroded away and had to replace them.

I've seen IOs get eaten up and inboard props and shafts suffer the same as well as metal through hulls.

Do yourself a favor and check all your bonding system wires or you could be in for a very expensive surprise....

See more here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjtvYr95PLs
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber