NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Opinions on Snake Heads - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Opinions on Snake Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
this is a terrible attitude. the law is the law. your personal opinion doesn't enter in to it. if you don't like it, make public comments, lobby the council and get the law changed.

doing whatever you want instead makes you no better than the guy keeping a bucket full of 8" bass.
Lol...let's think about this for a moment.

Assuming the snakehead survives release, me catching it and returning it to the water is simply maintaining the status quo of the environment as I found it. You really think the state has the right to compel me to kill...anything?

Has there been any cases of this law being applied to anyone? Anyone get a ticket for releasing snakeheads into the same water body it was caught?
Old 07-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScowardNJ View Post
I have no opinion. If i catch one I'd probably take a picture, throw it back and keep fishing. Pretty much what I do with everything i catch in freshwater. If i knew someone who wanted to eat it, mount it, bury it in their garden or whatever else....In the cooler it goes.
If someone else wants to to slit its throat and throw it in the bushes, I'll hand em the knife.
This^^^^^^^^

Fishing without a license, bag and size limits, closed seasons and litterbugs is what laws I would like to see enforced.
F&G takes like 3 years to change or establish a "new" law. Steeped in tradition uneffected by progress or technolgy.

Snakeheads and flatheads are here to stay regardless of the law.

Last edited by Wilson; 07-23-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Old 07-23-2019, 12:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just one question. If you disregard this law, where do you draw the line on following other laws? Just wondering...Charlie
Old 07-23-2019, 12:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
Just one question. If you disregard this law, where do you draw the line on following other laws? Just wondering...Charlie
Right around pettiness

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 07-23-2019, 12:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

you could get an entire group of guys to devote their entire fishing season to catching and killing them, still not going to stop them from existing. They make a great game fish, the state should just accept it....that being said i don't have time to deal with the state's ridiculous politics either so it is what it is i guess!
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 07-23-2019, 12:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Opinions on Snake Heads

In my America we don’t kill for fun. We kill to survive and defend ourselves. I’m not doing any hits on fish unless I’m getting paid. I’ve retired from my mercenary career. Killing something because you are told is extremism! I can’t agree with that, sorry!

The Snakehead is an awesome gamefish that isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Take a ride to south Jersey if you haven’t caught one! The bite and fight is super intense! Very strong fish!!!
Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
This^^^^^^^^

Fishing without a license, bag and size limits, closed seasons and litterbugs is what laws I would like to see enforced.
F&G takes like 3 years to change or establish a "new" law. Steeped in tradition uneffected by progress or technolgy.

Snakeheads and flatheads are here to stay regardless of the law.
+1 on this. Don't remember the last time I had my fishing license, size and number of kept fish, or boat registration checked other than opening day trout fishing. I'd worry about enforcement on these areas rather than debate c&r laws on invasives.

Not to mention, seems like a tough court case to win if someone is issued a summons and decides to fight it. Without an actual photo of the release, how could they prove it? Not exactly like getting caught WITH the evidence...........
Old 07-23-2019, 05:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJerzyG View Post
Not to mention, seems like a tough court case to win if someone is issued a summons and decides to fight it. Without an actual photo of the release, how could they prove it? Not exactly like getting caught WITH the evidence...........
Enforcement would be an issue, but the mandated killing of anything is an oddball reg in and of itself.

Say an invasive lizard snuck its way into your house, placing itself within your power. Would a law that requires you to kill it be constitutional in any way?

I don't see it. Especially when the state has pretty much given up eradication.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
In my America we don’t kill for fun. We kill to survive and defend ourselves. I’m not doing any hits on fish unless I’m getting paid. I’ve retired from my mercenary career. Killing something because you are told is extremism! I can’t agree with that, sorry!

The Snakehead is an awesome gamefish that isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Take a ride to south Jersey if you haven’t caught one! The bite and fight is super intense! Very strong fish!!!
100% agree!
Old 07-23-2019, 05:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Here's my opinion but first let me say that I love everyone on the freshwater board. I will fish with you guys any day. But it seems like its a bunch of northern Jersey fisherman who already have smallies, walleye, muskie, pike wild trout, and salmon telling us south Jersey who only have LMB, pickerel and panfish to kill them. Come on guys. We don't have much down here. Let us have a hard fighting fish. My favorite fish to target is the bowfin and they seem pretty much the same. Just my opinion.

What should be wiped out is the carp. They eat all the weed beds and make every pond down here a mudhole.

When the state stops the bucket brigades then I will listen to what they have to say about snakeheads. Until then its just a great fish to target.