NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Updated Trout Stocked Waters - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-10-2019, 09:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Updated Trout Stocked Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I grew up in Kearny New Jersey for a while and fished the big pond in the park. I cut my teeth on carp and catfish, I didn't know what a stocked trout was until I was 40, so who are all the "kids" that need stocked trout ?
When you think of the word trout, images of cool clear mountain streams come to mind, not the local duck pond.
Don't hate, appreciate! Lugging grudges around will only make you miserable. Let go.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Very well stated Andy
Old 03-11-2019, 12:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Updated Trout Stocked Waters

I read what one person wrote about stocking the "urban" pond near his home. He said before it was trout stocked he could go there and it was very quiet and catch bass and crappie. Now he says since it is trout stocked there are 70 to 80 people lining the banks taking everything ! It all goes in the bucket he stated and there were few licenses visible. After the crowds departed the place was trashed.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:35 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I know everyone has their own opinion, but I will share that the spring trout I caught last year were fabulous. The flesh was orange in color and I had the opportunity to smoke them using a brine and alder wood. Served them to many friends who have discriminating tastes and thought they were wonderful. I think the NJ Dept. of Fish and Wildlife does a fantastic job. Just recently saw the numbers of trout Maryland puts out at 308,250 while NJ puts out over 575,000. I will take those numbers anytime.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I grew up in Kearny New Jersey for a while and fished the big pond in the park. I cut my teeth on carp and catfish, I didn't know what a stocked trout was until I was 40, so who are all the "kids" that need stocked trout ?
When I think of the word trout, images of cool clear mountain streams come to mind, not the local duck pond.
Really,...…….that's who it is all about.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Small local ponds stocked with trout create fisherman for life!!! My fondest memories as a kid was getting up with my pops at 4 am and heading over to Garveys pond to get a good spot on opening day. That last hour waiting for 8 am to arrive felt like a week. Never kept a single trout in my life but that pond was like a magnet to me from age 4 til I was old enough to drive. Stop by there any day and there are lots of fathers with their kids enjoying the sport of fishing. The game wardens are there weekly and everyone's got the License and Stamp on the back of their hats. During the week you will find lots of kids and young teens fishing and not sitting home on a damn iPad. You can take the pretty river and brooks and enjoy them but those local ponds are a damn tradition from generation to generation to a lot of people.

Last edited by Irish Jigger; 03-11-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Old 03-12-2019, 10:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Jigger View Post
Small local ponds stocked with trout create fisherman for life!!! My fondest memories as a kid was getting up with my pops at 4 am and heading over to Garveys pond to get a good spot on opening day. That last hour waiting for 8 am to arrive felt like a week. Never kept a single trout in my life but that pond was like a magnet to me from age 4 til I was old enough to drive. Stop by there any day and there are lots of fathers with their kids enjoying the sport of fishing. The game wardens are there weekly and everyone's got the License and Stamp on the back of their hats. During the week you will find lots of kids and young teens fishing and not sitting home on a damn iPad. You can take the pretty river and brooks and enjoy them but those local ponds are a damn tradition from generation to generation to a lot of people.
Yep, go to Verona Park lake on and around opening day. Lots of dads with young kids there fishing.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
In my experiences, I would say that 95% + of NJ anglers catch & release all freshwater fish, including trout.

Too much hassle cleaning / preparing them.
maybe 95% of licensed anglers practice c&r, but theres no way the # is even close to that if you count everyone who casts a line
Old 03-17-2019, 11:59 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Any water listed NO KILL should get NO TROUT.
agreed.