NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Home Intruders.... - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Exclamation Re: Home Intruders....

I have read on several sites where it is recommended that a can of wasp/hornet spray is very discouraging. Many youg women in both college dorms and those out on their own have that as a dissuader to the bad boys and keep it on a night table next to their bed.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Home Intruders....

We have a 95 LB German Shepherd / Junkyard Dog mix.
He's gentle with our family for the 8 years we've had him.
If he latches on to an intruder's arm or nutz,..I pity the fool.
I believe a potential burglar would beat a retreat at the first loud bark.

I like the wasp / hornet spray idea. Time to re-stock just in case.
Followed up with Louisville Slugger.....Homeowner 1, Bad guy--zero.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
I agree with Irish Jigger, the sound of cycling a pump gun is distinctive and you need a really big set to continue after hearing it

I have kids and guns but no ammo in the house. Just last week I said to my wife that just the sound of loading snap caps into our semi auto 12 ga shotgun should send an intruder running. She pointed out that a stanger would never get past our head of Security, Sherman, a lean 185lbs of American Mastiff, to get close enough to hear the cycling of the shotgun.

Mastiffs are great with kids and low maintenance.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	50806  
Old 07-13-2012, 03:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ok Im from PA so the whole gun thing is easier for us over her personally I like my options pistol grip home defense shotgun under the bed loaded with birdshot first two rounds (because it will not pentrate two sheets of drywall with any lethal velocity) then if it gets bad next two 3 in mags of BB shot followed by 2 buck shot. plus side saddle with 6 addition rounds. plus I have 3 pistols in my bedroom, 45ACP, 9mm and 380. I like my options. People always ask me would I shoot someone if the broke into my house in the middle of the night my answer is always the same. Yes and shoot to kill. My theory and thought on it is if you need something so bad that you feel you need to rob me come do it when I am not home and your not a threat to my well being. Material items can be replaced. If you come while I am home that tells me you do not care for my life and well being so I do not care for yours.
Friend who is a cop told me it is always better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

I would suggest getting a shotgun with birdshot and keeping it locked up. You dont want to bring a knife to a gunfight.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for all the replies...

To date - I have known people

Who have had their doors knocked in - bound / tied
People who come and say you need work on your driveway and the second guy comes in
Opportunitisic - trying to open windows / cars / doors etc
Case the neighborhood and spree the whole place and come back weeks later

With all that said, you can have an alarm, but forget to put it on that one night, you can have a dog and he can wake you up, but why would some intruder care about putting a dog down

You can be watching TV and BOOM they just kick the door down. When you live in a neighborhood that people mind there business and have a lot of seclusion, it spells a home intruders dream.

My neighbor was brushing his teeth at 6AM to only watch his car speed of his front lawn from a car thief.

I just want to be in a position that if I am sleeping or seeing someone case my house while I watch TV, that I will have that guy leaving in a heartbeat.

I like the mace idea.. wasp spray, weapon that non mortal but will do the job

Thanks guys.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael82929
I like the mace idea.. wasp spray, weapon that non mortal but will do the job
nice humanitarian idea, but if my door ever was kicked in I'm not reaching for anything less-than-lethal

save the less-than-lethal stuff for the police who may need to stop people but not necessarily put them down for good. someone breaking into my home with unknown purpose does not get this same consideration.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael82929
Thanks for all the replies...

To date - I have known people

Who have had their doors knocked in - bound / tied........................you can have a dog and he can wake you up, but why would some intruder care about putting a dog down....

Thanks guys.
Regarding a dog. I live in the suburbs and we got the dog for our kids(and me) and to be part of the family. The security he brings to our house is just an added benefit. Someone could kill your dog but more than likely it would have alerted you to the danger before being silenced. If you live in a secluded area you are the next line of defense. If you live in the suburbs and have neighbors with the police a couple of minutes away than I doubt someone would hang around after silencing a dog.

If I lived if a secluded area I would have multiple dogs for security and I would keep a loaded secure gun in several areas of the house.

Bill
Old 07-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Site Sponsor

Install an alarm system and keep them from getting that far. A good system after you purchase the sensors will run about $20 a month to maintain.......and I would still keep the glock close bye!

www.captainronsfishermen.com
Old 07-14-2012, 12:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Home Intruders....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1captainron
Install an alarm system and keep them from getting that far. A good system after you purchase the sensors will run about $20 a month to maintain.......and I would still keep the glock close bye!

best idea there!

Or get your self a Gun.. 40cal or 45 will put a nice hole in whatever u aim it at.. Dont have to shoot the guy, just pop off a few rounds.. he will get the idea real quick..

Mace is a cheap one as well.. but if u spray the guy in the house everyone will be feeling the effects from it.. Stuff floats through the air and spreads out everywhere.. Quick story.. At a party one night some one thought it would be funny to spray some in the house and we all got messed up from it.. its not fun

Id go with the alarm system.. Might spend a few bucks to get it but once its in you will feel safe knowing that if anyone trys or even gets in its going to go off and cops are on the way..

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was thinking alarm system to, but they are easy to disconnect from the street.

Since we are on the topic of alarm systems... anyone got any ideas? Best / priced right suggested.