NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sad State of affairs - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:47 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Sad State of affairs

When a guy has to target trigger fish for business just tells you where this is going. I feel bad for you guys I'm getting close to retirement age got my ticket almost 20 years ago thinking i'll maybe be able to do some stuff just to keep working guess that isn't going to happen. This hobby of ours is slowly being taken away. Last time i went fluking was almost $100 a pound for the 1 keeper.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:17 AM
dakota560

Default Re: Sad State of affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy View Post
When a guy has to target trigger fish for business just tells you where this is going. I feel bad for you guys I'm getting close to retirement age got my ticket almost 20 years ago thinking i'll maybe be able to do some stuff just to keep working guess that isn't going to happen. This hobby of ours is slowly being taken away. Last time i went fluking was almost $100 a pound for the 1 keeper.
The consequences of misguided legislation are killing the businesses dependent on these fisheries. Your comments are right on target. Capt. Ron said it before, the days of targeting a specific fish are over, now party and charter boats as well as recreational anglers have to target sea bass, fluke, triggers, porgies, sea robins, miniature blue fish, scad mackerel. maybe a winter flounder or two, some ling, a dink whiting etc. and whatever else they can catch to put some fish in coolers for their patrons spending on average $200 plus for the cost of an entire trip with travel, food, beverages and fare costs all considered. And that assumes seasons are even open for all those species. Won't be long at this pace before sea robins, sun dials and silver eels will be making up a majority of recreational catch. Sad state of affairs indeed.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool Re: Sad State of affairs

There is no lack of decent sized target species. It just lack of fish that are keeper size. Throwing back 17" Fluke all day and coming home with nothing can be discouraging for sure! Especially when you spend $70 for a boat ride. So now everyone is keeping everything that is possibly edible. Before you know it there will regulations on those fish also. It certainly does seem the powers to be are trying to put an end to this sport and way of life and the people who stand to lose the most like boat manufactures, tackle companies, bait suppliers etc etc are just sitting back and doing nothing about it.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This is all by design to collapse the party & charter boat business
Old 07-19-2019, 03:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wink Re: Sad State of affairs

Fishing is awesome in Massachusetts and North Carolina, you are not a tree, MOVE !!!
Old 07-19-2019, 05:21 PM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Fishing is awesome in Massachusetts and North Carolina, you are not a tree, MOVE !!!
Think things are rosy in NC, think again. Read article posts in the following two links, sound familiar.

https://obxtoday.com/h2o/marine-fish...g-this-august/

https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfi...ounder-nc.html
Old 07-20-2019, 04:59 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by togzilla View Post
This is all by design to collapse the party & charter boat business
And they are doing an Excellent job!!

www.captainronsfishermen.com
Old 07-20-2019, 10:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
You are so far off it is comical!Every state is being hit.From Red Snapper to Cobia .Here in Florida they opened Red Snapper and the limit is ONE!Not worth the fuel.Do you realize how many for hire boats went out of business in Massachusetts?

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 07-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Banned

Yea but don’t we feel safe , Pout is closed year round. Can we all spell *******S!A-HOLES!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Angry Re: Sad State of affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1captainron View Post
And they are doing an Excellent job!!
Totally and emphatically agree Capt.