NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Who introduced you to fishing? - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Who introduced you to fishing?

My father
Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Pops...took me out fluke fishing on the Big Marie S
RIP Dad
Old 12-11-2013, 09:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My Father on the Zypher...pier 1 out of Sheepshead Bay and off of the old wooden pier on Coney Island beach way before it burned down.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

DAD....

Dad to Son or Daughter is a given....and thank you for passing the passion!

My Grand children will likely say MOM as I have instilled some of the best fishing skills, ethics, and motivation that hopefully my daughters are able to be carried forward to generations to come. I got two ole salts now at 11 and 13 (girls) that CAN FISH and CATCH

Know who taught em?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My Father also took me on a party boat at the age of 7. It was the Satellite, in Atlantic Highlands, back in the late 70's. He won the pool that day for fluke, but put my name in the paper.

He's gone now, but never forgotten... I bring my two kids out fishing whenever I can...
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Would love to say my dad, but he is not a fisherman. He was a private pilot so I grew up flying not fishing.

It may surprise some to know that the first time I went salt water fishing was about 20 years ago. Went on a charter out of Montauk with some co workers and loved it. The same group of guys still go every year first Saturday in June. We have not missed a year and still use the same captain and boat! So I went once a year for the first two or three years and decided I love the sport and must do more of it. I started going solo on the head boats out of the highlands and the rest is history. I made up for a lot of lost time over the last 15 years or so. I figure at this point I have fished more then people who have been fishing their whole lives and I don't plan on slowing down.

I am glad that I have had the chance to introduce my children to the sport. They all love it!

Last edited by shrimpman steve; 12-11-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Old 12-11-2013, 11:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was not yet 5 years old, my father and grandfather tied me and a rental rod to the rail , fished oyster bay and caught flounders. I was hooked for life before I ever went on the boat.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My dad took me out on a rowboat (which I thought was cool just being out on a boat) when I was 8, and we caught 35 Bluegills that morning. I was in heaven... kept Freshwater fishing for a while, then he took me out fluking and I had a bamboo rod and got my first fluke in the Manasquan River. Then on to bluefishing. I recently re-wrapped the 2 rods we always bluefished with and will always cherish them... here it is 55 years later and I still love Fresh and Saltwater fishing!!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Father and Grandfathers

Was always a family thing

One Grandfather had a house on West Point Island and there was a dock across the street that we fished and crabbed on

One Grandfather retired to Tuckerton and clammed so we would fish on his boat. He gave me my first shot gun when I was 5 but never got to hunt with him

Was lucky my father would include me on all the trips and both Grandfathers got along so we all went together. The 3 of them have been fishing in heaven for over 20 years now

Both my kids and wife fish and have fished with my Father in Law for almost 30 years so it remains a family thing
Old 12-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Site Sponsor

Great post! Lou Letche (RIP) - my neighbor growing up. Use to take me out with his friend on his boat "Goody" out of Belmar and make me haul in 100's of bluefish on hand planers. WOW!

Capt Joe Bogdan - Wot's Up Dock - Fluking, winter whiting fishing, trolling bass with wire, Florida fishing, boating in general, rigging,- he taught me about the Shrews Rocks so well I have it mapped out in my head.

Thank you guys!!! Forever Greatful!
It's SIC Fishin...check out our Facebook page for pictures and reports