NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Cormorants - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Angry Cormorants

It's way past time for the state to do something about these "devil birds". The standard reply to any query has been "we are looking into it".How many more years and thousands of trout,not to mention bass,sunnies ,well every species being decimated before action is taken? They do a great job at the hatchery producing fish for our over populated state. I was enjoying a great spring with two breeders and two oversized rainbows .Released those and kept some of the smaller browns for the table. These smaller fish which supply the most action for the fishermen are being wiped out in some lakes within days.So i put it out there to all:what do we do????
Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Cormorants

Quote:
Originally Posted by toghead View Post
So i put it out there to all:what do we do????
uh, nothing, they are wild birds. you going to shoot all the bald eagles who eat stocked trout or trophy smallies too?

is this a serious thread?
Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

SC hunters killed 11,653 cormorants last hunting season. http://www.thestate.com/2014/04/04/....kill-more.html They ruined the fishing in Carnegie Lake.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It's a messy issue. I wouldn't normally support killing non-game, native wildlife but this is becoming an issue. I wouldn't mind seeing hunters with a migratory bird stamp shoot those cormorants.

When I was kayaking Merrill Creek Reservoir, one of those birds nearly shit on my head. I wasn't even under it. It actually projectile shitted in my direction.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
uh, nothing, they are wild birds. you going to shoot all the bald eagles who eat stocked trout or trophy smallies too?

is this a serious thread?
Not trying to start a pissing contest.Twenty years ago there were zero cormorants in my home lake. Now there are twenty swimming in wolfpacks wiping out every fish they can .Just was hoping the state would try to control them like any other species that becomes a nuisance.Deer,Canada Geese come to mind (also wild species i believe). I dont recall mentioning anything about shooting eagles but smartass answers sometimes make thier way into all discussions.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I usually don't like killing of things senselessly, however lets face it. These birds show up (only) during trout stocking periods each spring. Each spring there's more and more. I cant tell you how many times I've fished local ponds and the only one catching fish are the damn birds. I'm all for it. Let's solve this problem. Otherwise let the birds live, and keep barely reducing stocking (because of a bacteria outbreak, caused by birds in the first place) and stop charging us fishermen extra money for trout stamps. That's my two sense.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:49 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ219bands View Post
SC hunters killed 11,653 cormorants last hunting season. http://www.thestate.com/2014/04/04/....kill-more.html They ruined the fishing in Carnegie Lake.
I agree with the comment about Carneige Lake. I often fish the board walk area by the Princeton aqueducts for Calico Bass in Carneige Lake.
Although we aren't talking trout here, you can watch the cormorants diving down and feeding all day long on crappies, sunfish, perch, small bass, etc.

I realize that this is all natural, and they hafta eat too, but I also like to eat the crappies and yellow perch they are scoffing down.

Also, at the dinky Mohawk Pond in Red Bank these birds seem to know when the stocking days are. Many of them sit on the pond overflow drain in the middle of the lake and rapidly go into action feeding on the trout as the stocking truck is dumping them in.

I've fished both these places for many years, and I never remember seeing them when I was a kid 60 years ago. Now the cormorants are all over.

Denny
Old 04-18-2014, 06:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i saw 1 eat a carp last year since then i have waged a secret war just know if i invite ya to a turkey dinner at my home it may be "fishy"

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

they're just a part of nature, like snapping turtles, snakes and all the rest of stuff that eats the trout besides people... but unfortunately cormorants taste like garbage (fish actually). so no hunter that i know, myself included, would waste a shotgun shell on one... and i eat canada geese (not known for their flavor) all the time, so i am not exactly picky.

i really wonder what those SC hunters did with their birds
Old 04-18-2014, 11:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
they're just a part of nature, like snapping turtles, snakes and all the rest of stuff that eats the trout besides people... but unfortunately cormorants taste like garbage (fish actually). so no hunter that i know, myself included, would waste a shotgun shell on one... and i eat canada geese (not known for their flavor) all the time, so i am not exactly picky.

i really wonder what those SC hunters did with their birds

Nothing I'm sure. They're just douche bags who get a thrill out of killing something. I've almost gotten into fights at the beach and lakes when I've seen people messing with seagulls or geese. I'm sure there will come a time when I see someone hurt a wild animal intentionally and I end up hurting them.
Closed Thread