NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Support this post to get someone to carry Herring for Round Valley,Spruce Run, Merril - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Exclamation Support this post to get someone to carry Herring for Round Valley,Spruce Run, Merril

With March getting closer I know there is a very good amount of bait fisherman on this site wondering about where we are going to go for herring this year for Merill Creek, Round Valley and Spruce Run. With the amount of traffic that this site gets I am pretty sure we can use this as a platform to show current businesses or maybe a new one that it could be a nice opportunity if taken seriously. Sportsmans Rendevous is a good location but their hours are terrible for a fisherman looking for bait. If they could open at 6am latest 7am (maybe only during peak season) I think that they would be a possibility not sure if they carry herring though (thats a must). I would love to check out Kollmer Power Equipment in Flemington and give them my business but I havent heard much out of them. Bottom line is that there is a huge void in hunterdon somerset and lower warren counties with 3 major lakes that get a ton of anglers and we have really no choices, not a single1!! If everyone posts on here that they would support any business that would make a real effort in this area I think it may help. We have to show them its a viable business. Were all looking to spend our money somewhere lets hope someone steps up

I know that peak season end of april - early july I'm good for about 5 dozen herring a week and we fish march-december.

Lets see what we can do guys
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120925_073014.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	56404   Click image for larger version

Name:	big day.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	56405   Click image for larger version

Name:	tripple header.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	56406   Click image for larger version

Name:	gary fishing.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	56407  
Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Support this post to get someone to carry Herring for Round Valley,Spruce Run, Merril

It doesn't take much. All we need is a deli or hardware store to carry 1 tank full of herring. I've never fished with herring but still there has to be somebody out there that can help out the NJ ANGLERS. Does anybody no a small business owner that has room for a Herring tank???
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Support this post to get someone to carry Herring for Round Valley,Spruce Run, Merril

Been going to B. and B. in Netcong for better than 12 years now. May have to drive a bit but there are stores around Lake Hopatcong also.
You can always get your bait air packed the night before, just gotta keep 'em cool.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Support this post to get someone to carry Herring for Round Valley,Spruce Run, Merril

I'm ALL FOR THAT !!!! Need somebody in the area to fill the void I live forty five minutes south of the valley let alone SR or MC I used to fish the first two quite a bit and now at a major loss as i do fish herring at both almost exclusively but if no one nearby decides to carry them i guess those lakes will be out of the question for the most part. SUCKS living south of parkway bridge if you fish freshwater!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Support this post to get someone to carry Herring for Round Valley,Spruce Run, Merril

Highway Sport shop on 31 just north of Washington carries bait fish and a good line of tackle and info. Kollmer Equipment is also a great place and I think Bob is planning on carrying herring but they haven't so far, they do have a great selection of tackle. Both are a little out of the way for SR, RV, and MC.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just a question. Would 5" to 6" trout work as good as herring?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Support this post to get someone to carry Herring for Round Valley,Spruce Run, Merril

Try keeping them alive !!! Plus when is Musky hatchery open to buy them.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

there used to be a place off of rt 23 where the bait tanks were outside and it was help yourself 24/7. there were cameras recording, and you had to fill out on the envelope what you were buying and your license plate. very handy. too bad the boat repair place it was at closed.

but maybe someone could do something like that. i would do it in my front yard, but my wife would not be pleased, and i am not very conveniently located.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Andy I have kept them alive at home in a large chest freezer with filtration and a spray bar for a few weeks. Havent really been freshwater fishing the last few years, but I used to take them out and put them in a igloo cooler with a portable livewell system and they always seemed to stay alive.

As for the Musky hatchery, I used to buy them at like 50 to 100 at a clip. But not lately
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

support