NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Where the bay stripers went last year! Must read!! - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Where the bay stripers went last year! Must read!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sal Cathy Sea Charters
the stripers have to go up the hudson to spawn.they stage in the bay before going up to spawn.they eat the migrate up.they follow the bunker eat as much as they can and go and spawn in fresh water.we catch them on return trip also.the last few springs the bunker run left something to be desired.when we should have been fishing close in the bay we were on the ocean side.WHY?because the bunker were there .a big movement of bunker went towards jamaica bay,the bass followed.the month of june the ocean run was good.WHY?because the bunker were there.the stripers are still here i8n good numbers and will go up the hudson to spawn.we need lots of schools of bunker to be in the area of raritan and princess bay to hold these fish.
reduction bunker boats are to blame.it is a simple equation bunker =bass.all game fish follow the food.why did we catch bluefin tuna this year?sand eels that is why.if the the bunker come in heavy to the bay the stripers will be on them.this is what I KNOW and i do it every day and have been for many years.the answer to the question is the bay stripers are still here just in different areas.the arhur kill had bunker last spring and we caught bass there.great kills saw the worst run of bunkers in years so did ah.so it is is said let it be written!
Amen Capt.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sal Cathy Sea Charters
the stripers have to go up the hudson to spawn.they stage in the bay before going up to spawn.they eat the migrate up.they follow the bunker eat as much as they can and go and spawn in fresh water.we catch them on return trip also.the last few springs the bunker run left something to be desired.when we should have been fishing close in the bay we were on the ocean side.WHY?because the bunker were there .a big movement of bunker went towards jamaica bay,the bass followed.the month of june the ocean run was good.WHY?because the bunker were there.the stripers are still here i8n good numbers and will go up the hudson to spawn.we need lots of schools of bunker to be in the area of raritan and princess bay to hold these fish.
reduction bunker boats are to blame.it is a simple equation bunker =bass.all game fish follow the food.why did we catch bluefin tuna this year?sand eels that is why.if the the bunker come in heavy to the bay the stripers will be on them.this is what I KNOW and i do it every day and have been for many years.the answer to the question is the bay stripers are still here just in different areas.the arhur kill had bunker last spring and we caught bass there.great kills saw the worst run of bunkers in years so did ah.so it is is said let it be written!
I didn't read every word in the first 4 pages so I'm sorry if I am wrong, but, I can't believe that it took all the way to page 4 for someone to blame the lack of bass in the bay on the missing bunker. The bunker were in the ocean and so were the big fish. In early April we did pretty well in the bay with bait and bass but then they were gone.

I have also read in the past that the bass usually run on a 7 year cycle. I don't know if there is any truth in that but if there is.... it should have been a little slow last year. Think about the stupid fishing in the bay 7 years ago, and not only in the spring, the fall run kicked a$$ as well. I haven't seen a good fall run in the bay since 2002/2003
Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

This post has gotten many ideas of the stripers and fishing in general. I live along the delawere river and was a shad fisherman. The last 5 years has seen the shad go from 25 to 30 hook ups in 6 hours to 3 if your lucky. large size of 25" to being lucky to get into the tourament min of 22". They still are comm fishing the fish and taking million of eggs from the river to stock other places in Pa. Everyone says that there not the problem!! I do not keep one shad because they are not good eating but one hell of a fighter! So as a rec fisherman I dont reduce the numbers but some how they get lower and lower runs!!!! I use to see the river raining with fry going down the river in sept/oct now i am lucky to see one 8' diameter of them floating down. The small stripers feed on this run and also sea gulls. Hundreds of them are in the Easton are to also feed on the fry. Now the Hudson river is also seeing a decline in shad numbers. Stripers also feed on the fry also not just bunker!!

Its all connected together and one or more out of place then something has to go down.

Solutions to the problem is more than one answer but a combo!

just hope this year I get more than one keep from going out 10 times for them paying 55 per trip. Maybe I'll bring my pole to Wegmans and catch the ones they have it would be lots cheeper but not as fun and seeing the sun rise or set!

happy fishing all!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

PSSSSS: I love this message board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

going out 10 times times and catching 1 keeper is a a good way to help the striper biomass lol

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired