NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Monksville is weedless!!! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-29-2019, 10:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Monksville is weedless!!!

Haven't been getting out much this summer but found a window of opportunity to get a few hours on Monksville last night. Launched the south ramp/dam side basin. There are NO weed beds left. I've been fishing that lake for 20+ years and weed beds have always been present in water less than 15ft. I hit 5 or 6 spots last night and there was nothing. The water had a strange emerald tint to it also. Not sure if its a result of the HAB from GWL, maybe some weed treatment is finding its way down to monks? Or maybe they treated Monks for some reason? I don't know whats going on up there but the place sucks even more now than it ever has!!!!

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216

Last edited by ScowardNJ; 08-29-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Old 08-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Old Soft Salt

Default Re: Monksville is weedless!!!

In a related story I was out to my buddy's house on Penns Creek in central Pa. about 3 miles upstream from the confluence with the Suski. I have fished this spot at least 50 times and always caught something. Tossed Rapalas, jigs, spinners, live shiners, Night Crawlers and not one fish. Saw no fish, not even a Carp!
Water looked ok for this time of the year.
Fished with 2 other buddies for a total of 5 or so hours, early, late and at night....no one caught a thing.
Not even a dink SMB or Rock bass.

Time to take up golf.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
In a related story I was out to my buddy's house on Penns Creek in central Pa. about 3 miles upstream from the confluence with the Suski. I have fished this spot at least 50 times and always caught something. Tossed Rapalas, jigs, spinners, live shiners, Night Crawlers and not one fish. Saw no fish, not even a Carp!
Fished with 2 other buddies for a total of 5 or so hours, early, late and at night....no one caught a thing.

Time to take up golf.
We did get a dink LM and few gills

Still down for a round golf though!!!

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 08-29-2019, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

there are less weeds in the deeper water (>5') on LH this year as well. They are attributing it to the blue green algae blocking the sunlight.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I heard the same thing from someone else and the weedkiller in GWL was my first thought too. As recently as yesterday the water at the North end of Greenwood has a green algae color to it. Right now the Wanaque connecting the two is but a trickle but when we had the all of the rain when they did the treatment, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post

Time to take up golf.
Try going back in late October and watch what happens.. the river will be alive with SMB and walleyes.. Up here in the NY section of the river there is very poor fishing in summer.. You can tell because there is never a single fisherman out there, even near the towns and cities.. You can fish all day long and never get a touch sometimes even with live bait.. Personally I don't fish the river until October.. It sucks, I live 15 minutes from it, and can only catch fish there in April/May and then Oct/Nov... I think the river is just alive with food in the warm weather, and the fish are very well fed.. The Mayfly hatches all summer are intense every night, and small young of the year fish swarm ...

I have lived here since 1991, and have been very disappointed in the Susky.. Fishing can be intense for a few weeks in spring and fall, but late spring through early fall it can be poor in the extreme.. All you need to do is look around. When fish are around , there are people fishing for them.. The susky is devoid of anglers for months at a time... bob
Old 09-03-2019, 10:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Uhhhhhgggggg! This will ruin my winter jogging for small Blue gills, Pickerel and Slab Crappie! What the hell is going on with all these contaminated bodies of water? Dammit!!!
Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScowardNJ View Post
Haven't been getting out much this summer but found a window of opportunity to get a few hours on Monksville last night. Launched the south ramp/dam side basin. There are NO weed beds left. I've been fishing that lake for 20+ years and weed beds have always been present in water less than 15ft. I hit 5 or 6 spots last night and there was nothing. The water had a strange emerald tint to it also. Not sure if its a result of the HAB from GWL, maybe some weed treatment is finding its way down to monks? Or maybe they treated Monks for some reason? I don't know whats going on up there but the place sucks even more now than it ever has!!!!
i noticed this last spring there, weed beds gone. Noticed it on a few other places too like pompton. seems like massive weed spraying is the new hot thing to do...
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54