NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Union County Catfish - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-02-2018, 01:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Union County Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by logs22 View Post
I also noticed that Lower Echo had received some Channel Cats and actually took advantage of the warm weather and rising lake levels to try and catch one of them last night. Of course the only part of the Lower lake free of ice is way up where upper lake feeds the middle lake, and then the open water hugged the far side of the middle lake up to the bridge. The middle lake side of the bridge was open water and the lower lake side was solid ice.

I tried my luck first up near the outlet for upper lake in a relatively deep section close to the current (which was strong from the rain) but protected by a small cove and a lay down/log jam. I also was dead sticking some power bait hoping for one of the last winter trout and had a third pole, my first baitcaster, that I was just messing around with and learning how to use. I didn't have any luck there but something BIG jumped so close to Me it scared the hell out of me. It was probably a carp, but I haven't seen that many carp in Echo so who knows.

Next tried my luck by the bridge using a bottom slip rig and casting under the bridge as well as near the rocks on either side. I was using a treble hook with Cats Blood bait on one rod, and a couple small dead shiners on a octopus hook on the other. Once again no luck. I have been trying the same setup to catch one of the channels in Nomahegan (also stocked) and also in some of the deep pools in the Rahway back in Nomahegan park. You guessed it, nada.

Anyone want to provide some tips? I had only caught catfish by accident until a few weeks ago when I realized during the cold weather months trout an catfish would be better targets than my usual quarry, the LMB. Regardless it's been fun to learn new techniques.
try now. the 2017 stocking schedule shows they put 30 fish in there, based on my al gore math we caught almost 10% of the entire population in a hour with 1 rod and a bunch of nightcrawlers. it probably helped that my 6 year old was filleting nightcrawlers to feed turtles and probably made a wicked chumslick.