NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boat Advice - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-29-2019, 11:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Boat Advice

i have an older 14ft mirrocraft that has taken a beating at rv / spruce camping and still doesn't leak. got dents and lots paint missing. aluminum is king for taking abuse. make sure boat has title for sure. don't want to mess around with trying to get a HIN seach from Nj state police. i did it twice . it wasn't fun. registering trailer as home made can be pretty simple in NJ depending on mood of the worker you get at dmv so don't turn down a nice rig if trailer doesn't have a current reg. i have a 2 smoke yamaha 8 hp that i can get on plane with hundreds of pounds of camping gear and 2 people. 4 stroke much heavier but no need to buy/mix oil is a bonus.electric motor and good battery. get something you can handle loading / unloading / operating by yourself. friends and family are always around to go.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the advice. So how does everyone store during and off season? Wouldnt have a garage big enough. Any advice for finding a boat besides craigslist?

Last edited by RyanMac14; 10-29-2019 at 01:53 PM..
Old 10-29-2019, 02:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMac14 View Post
Thanks for the advice. So how does everyone store during and off season? Wouldnt have a garage big enough. Any advice for finding a boat besides craigslist?
FB market place and ebay. Use nada guides to get a sense of value. Take someone that knows boats when looking. I am sure some folks here would tag along.

i store mine outside under an A frame..see this thread my pics are on page 2
Old 10-29-2019, 03:03 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Winter storage depends on what you have in the boat. I have a 14 ft aluminum that I can strip down; batteries, motors etc. keep in the garage, the boat in the back yard covered. Mice can be a problem when storing so I keep several boxes of moth balls in the boat during winter storage. They will eat the seats, wires and make a mess.
You should be able find something on line, this is the time when people need to let go.
Good luck,
Charlie
Old 10-30-2019, 11:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Some great advice here RyanMac. Especially about the salt.
Over the years, I once owned a 14' Mirrocraft w/ a 15hp Merc, and a MinnKota 36-48 ? I forget.
The deep V was great. On numerous North Jersey lakes as well as Raritan Bay, I often launched/retrieved by myself but when on limited hp or electric only, wish I had more thrust.
I sold that boat in 1999. Can't believe it's been 20 years .
I'm thinking too of getting another. 9.9 is where I'll probably go.
Will be checking this thread as well.
Thanks guys for all the input
Old 10-30-2019, 02:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

No one boat size or type is ideal in every situation. But a 12-16 foot aluminum boat is at least useful in most of the waters in NJ and even ideal in many waters. If you find it is not quite right for you selling it should be no problem. As for motors it all depends on where you intend to use it but a 9.9 or slightly smaller and a good electric with a good battery or two and a good charger should have you covered. I think the battery and charger are at least as important or maybe even more important to be good than the motor.As far as new or used on the boat itself I think used is the better bargain. On the motors you might get lucky and get a great motor at a good price or you could be getting a problem. If you can have a mechanic look it over so much the better. Or take your chances if the price is low enough. Anyhow now is the best time of year to find a bargain on a boat. Good luck...Charlie
Old 10-30-2019, 09:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMac14 View Post
I store my boat at spruce run. Itís about $250 for summer which runs April-Nov. itís super convenient having the boat stored right next to the launch. They also have winter storage for the same price however once stored for winter you donít have access to the boat until Spring.
Only downside is the lack of security so you canít leave things like a trolling motor or batteries on the boat. I learned that the hard way.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For winter storage of my 16 foot Sylvan. I used $20 worth of 2 inch PVC pipe and built an A frame that sits in the boat. I use 3 straps over that and cover with a heavy duty tarp. I tie it down everywhere. Works great. Never had a problem with animals getting in. The straps keep the cover rounded so no water or snow collects on the cover. Total cast about $50. I have gotten 4 years out of it so far and everything is in good condition.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree with most of the ideas here. A 14-16 ft V hull aluminum boat with a 9.9 outboard is a good boat for NJ. Fairly light, so you can tow it with anything (I have an old RAV4 that I tow mine with). Small enough to store.

I used to keep mine in the driveway and made a frame similar to what Flygaff mentioned above, along with the cover that came with the boat when I bought it. The boat has a 1" thick marine plywood floor and carpeting so it has to be covered. Too heavy to flip over without a 3-4 friends. If a major snowstorm was coming I would put a small electric heater inside so the snow would melt on contact.

Now that I live in a condo, it is in a storage unit where it fits with room to spare. No more worries about covering it or winter snow.

I previously had a 14' Sea Nymph and I could flip that over by myself and leave it on the trailer for winter storage.

That 9.9 can get me up on a plane with 2 people and an average amount of gear. I've hit 20 MPH solo on flat water with a slight breeze at my back and about 18 MPH consistently when alone. With a partner, about 16 MPH. That's plenty of speed to get you around most NJ lakes. I also have a 55 lb thrust Minn Kota that moves me around well.

Something to think about. My first boat was 14 ft Sea Nymph with the usual bench seats. I got tired of having to climb over them, so I sold it for a boat with a flat floor. It makes it so much easier to move around the boat.

Here is my baby. Not the prettiest boat but it does what I need it to do

Last edited by briansnat; 11-03-2019 at 06:33 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 09:01 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Andyís boat is very happy in its new home....It will be coming back to NJ in a few weeks to continue the salmon smack down 🐟🐟🐟