NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Best Desktop Computer - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Best Desktop Computer

I must admit I'm lusting after the Apple all in one but not sure my PC hertirage is something I can overcome. Price tag seems pretty steep too.

Looking for something that will last me a long time since switching computers is such a PITA. Mostly pretty simple stuff since I am not a gamer but I do think I will eventually get into video editing. I already have a fairly robust laptop so not looking to go that route. Just looking for something that will stay at home and will last for the long haul.

Spending 8 plus hours a day on the computer I'm thinking that the new solid state hard drives are something consider for boot up and performance reasons and looks like some desktops now come standard with at least a portion of their storage on solid state. Is the extra cost worth it?

Also thinking about purchasing at Costco because of the their liberal 90 days returns policy and 2 years support.

Head is spinning with all the choices, what would you all reccomend? Brands, processors, memory, etc.

Thanks guys.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 10-15-2012 at 07:36 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Best Desktop Computer

Plus, while I'm at it might as well go for a new monitor too right?

I have a 19 inch portrait now and not sure, but seems to me unless I go with a 25" plus I'm not buying myself anything... Seems like all the new wide screens although wider are not any taller. Not watching any movies or anything so what does wider get me?? Seems to me I want something taller so I don't have to page down as much...

Am I missing something here other then a cooler looking wide screen when I don't watch movies on my PC?

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Gerry,

Can I suggest that you take some time out of your busy schedule and go to your nearest Apple store and seek-out an associate that is very knowledgeable with the differences and benefits of MAC v PC? I think it would be well worth your time so you never have to look back and wonder. I have had a 17" Macbook Pro since mid 2009 and have never had one problem with anything. Prior to that I used to build state of the art PC's and just got tired of all the upkeep and trouble shooting. Not to mention cntrl+alt+delete restart. Just go down and check it out. I know you think I am pushing the kool aid but decide for yourself.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Came out of semi-retirement just to answer this post. Gerry, build it yourself, or have microcenter build you one. Seriously. Get the following

Intel Core I3 or I5 Processor
8gb G.Skill, Crucial or similar DDR3-1600 or even DDR3-1333 Ram
Basic MSI Motherboard
60GB SSD Boot Drive from OCZ
500GB Data Drive from Western Digital
500 Watt Antec Power Supply (don't skimp here, nothing worse than a cheap PSU blowing up your new computer)
Windows 7 home premium 64 bits
Inexpensive Video card, probably something from ATI. Though I MUCH prefer NVidia.

When you get it home install Microsoft Security Essentials for free, and buy a 22 dollar copy of Malwarebytes.

You will not regret not having all the "junk ware" on your system that comes with a store built computer. And it will be perfectly modular and upgradable in the future.

As to the monitor for every 16" wide they are 9" or 10" tall depending on resolution. That is basically always going to be the measurement. I have a 30" monitor at work and besides being able to look at larger portions of blue prints I can open 2 pages of work at once. I can put say a Manual on the left side of the screen and read it clearly, and then a word or excel document on the right side of the screen.

Apples are nice and all, but I can build that system for 500 dollars, a similar apple will be over 1500 dollars.

Last edited by RussH; 10-19-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thinking further on monitors. There is a certain type of panel that favors static images over moving images. I think it's IPS or TPS I forget which. They have crap response time but are super accurate on color. You may want to look into that, an associate of mine specifically bought that type of panel and I think he only paid a few hundred bucks for a rather large one. It's not Retna quality, but it's also not a thousand dollars.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Gerry,
I just got the dell inspiron 660 the other day with a 24 inch monitor, box is stacked with 8 gigs of ram, 1TB hardrive, MS office Win 7, 64 bit machine is a beast, I have a tech backround and this machine is awesome. with shipping just under 1,000 and you can open a dell account if needed and pay minimum $29 a month.
South Amboy, NJ
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Thanks guys just ordered this machine from Costco http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-HP....11768052.html

Intel I 7
16 Gig Memory
1 TB hard drive
23 LED monitor
Window 7 Home Premium
Student Version of MS Office
$999

Pretty hard to beat that deal.

If any of you are sitting on the fense you should seriously consider bying a computer now, desktop or laptop. In a few weeks everything is going to start shipping with windows 8 and I hear it's so different you practically have to re learn how to use your computer.

If you buy now most computers come with 7 and a $15 coupon to upgrade to 8 if and when you want to.

I'd rather make that choice myself.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i'm in need of a new laptop...durable, now capable of video editing, strong in excel capabilities, wifi a must

what are you tech guys recommending?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelNauti
i'm in need of a new laptop...durable, now capable of video editing, strong in excel capabilities, wifi a must

what are you tech guys recommending?
Not sure what level of vidoe editing you're looking o do but here are some different levels of hardware and software.

Sony offers 11 Vaio laptops that all feature Adobe Premiere LE and DVgate and MovieShaker editing software and i.LINK (IEEE 1394) input. The least expensive of the Vaio's is the PCG-FX120 priced at $1,700. It has a 700MHz processor, a 10GB hard drive and 64MB RAM. It includes Sony's MovieShaker and DVgate editing software and Adobe Premiere LE. The PCG-FX190K features Sony DVgate and MovieShaker software, an 850MHz processor, 128MB RAM and a 30GB hard drive. Its suggested retail price is $3,700.

Apple Computer's two Titanium PowerBook G4s come installed with Apple's iMovie 2 editing software. The beginning editor will appreciate the simplicity of iMovie 2 but those looking for more bells and whistles may want to consider upgrading to Apple Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere. The PowerBooks come with either a 400MHz G4 PowerPC processor with a 10GB hard drive or a 500MHz G4 processor with 20GB of hard drive storage. The 400MHz retails for $2,499 and the 500MHz for $3,599.
ProMax Systems, Inc. takes Apple PowerBooks and adds larger hard drives and more advanced editing software. The company's FireMax Portable Final Cut Pro 400 sells for $4,935, has a 20GB hard drive and 256MB RAM, and comes with Apple Final Cut Pro editing software and Boris Graffiti title and animation effects plug-in installed.

Dell and Gateway have also joined the ranks of companies offering laptop editors. The Dell Inspiron 8000 retails for $2,971 and features Dell Movie Studio software, a 900MHz processor, 128MB RAM and a 20GB hard drive. Gateway's entry into the laptop-editing scene is the Solo 9500. It comes equipped with an 850MHz processor, a 20GB hard drive, 128MB RAM and a sticker price of $2,899. Be aware that while the Solo 9500 can edit video it does not come with any editing software.
DVLAPTOP.COM, Inc. specializes in configuring PCs for video editing. Its DESMV Midline features a 1000MHz processor, 32GB hard drive and 256MB RAM. With this system you get your choice of editing software: Digital Origin EditDV or Adobe Premiere 6.0. It retails for $3,999.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aduma1107
Not sure what level of vidoe editing you're looking o do but here are some different levels of hardware and software.

Sony offers 11 Vaio laptops that all feature Adobe Premiere LE and DVgate and MovieShaker editing software and i.LINK (IEEE 1394) input. The least expensive of the Vaio's is the PCG-FX120 priced at $1,700. It has a 700MHz processor, a 10GB hard drive and 64MB RAM. It includes Sony's MovieShaker and DVgate editing software and Adobe Premiere LE. The PCG-FX190K features Sony DVgate and MovieShaker software, an 850MHz processor, 128MB RAM and a 30GB hard drive. Its suggested retail price is $3,700.

Apple Computer's two Titanium PowerBook G4s come installed with Apple's iMovie 2 editing software. The beginning editor will appreciate the simplicity of iMovie 2 but those looking for more bells and whistles may want to consider upgrading to Apple Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere. The PowerBooks come with either a 400MHz G4 PowerPC processor with a 10GB hard drive or a 500MHz G4 processor with 20GB of hard drive storage. The 400MHz retails for $2,499 and the 500MHz for $3,599.
ProMax Systems, Inc. takes Apple PowerBooks and adds larger hard drives and more advanced editing software. The company's FireMax Portable Final Cut Pro 400 sells for $4,935, has a 20GB hard drive and 256MB RAM, and comes with Apple Final Cut Pro editing software and Boris Graffiti title and animation effects plug-in installed.

Dell and Gateway have also joined the ranks of companies offering laptop editors. The Dell Inspiron 8000 retails for $2,971 and features Dell Movie Studio software, a 900MHz processor, 128MB RAM and a 20GB hard drive. Gateway's entry into the laptop-editing scene is the Solo 9500. It comes equipped with an 850MHz processor, a 20GB hard drive, 128MB RAM and a sticker price of $2,899. Be aware that while the Solo 9500 can edit video it does not come with any editing software.
DVLAPTOP.COM, Inc. specializes in configuring PCs for video editing. Its DESMV Midline features a 1000MHz processor, 32GB hard drive and 256MB RAM. With this system you get your choice of editing software: Digital Origin EditDV or Adobe Premiere 6.0. It retails for $3,999.

whoa...prolly need to refine this a bit as i am not looking to go into the moviemaking business, but we are learning alot w/ our go pro!!

just looking to upgrade from my dell inspiron, ms moviemaker so far has been more than enough of a learning curve for me!!

looking to stay under the $2k mark.
(although you really opened my eyes to some very cool software options!)