NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Engine Troubles - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Engine Troubles

Hey guys, I am just looking for a little advice here...

Last week the top screw hole on my alternator bracket broke and the alternator fell off down into the engine compartment.

Fixed the bracket today and when I attached the wire that backflows to the batteries I noticed I popped the reset switch on the engine. I fooled with it a bit more and sure enough when I disconnnected the wire and reset the swtich I would get power and the motor would turn over. When I would out the wire back on it would pop.

So I am guessing new alternator but I thought I would ask and see if anyone has had this problem and maybe there is something I am missing.

Any advice would be help.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Engine Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOx23
Hey guys, I am just looking for a little advice here...

Last week the top screw hole on my alternator bracket broke and the alternator fell off down into the engine compartment.

Fixed the bracket today and when I attached the wire that backflows to the batteries I noticed I popped the reset switch on the engine. I fooled with it a bit more and sure enough when I disconnnected the wire and reset the swtich I would get power and the motor would turn over. When I would out the wire back on it would pop.

So I am guessing new alternator but I thought I would ask and see if anyone has had this problem and maybe there is something I am missing.

Any advice would be help.
Few questions. I/O?? Single wire alt?? "Backflows" to the battery? Is this the single charging wire that goes to your batts?? Not sure what you mean by backflow? "When I would out the wire back on it would pop" Lost me here?? I can defintely point ya in the right direction just trying to figure the whole thing out.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 07-11-2009, 07:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
Few questions. I/O?? Single wire alt?? "Backflows" to the battery? Is this the single charging wire that goes to your batts?? Not sure what you mean by backflow? "When I would out the wire back on it would pop" Lost me here?? I can defintely point ya in the right direction just trying to figure the whole thing out.
Don't know about the other questions but I think out = put. "When I would put the wire back on it would pop."

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
Duffman, thanks for the response. It is an I/O Mercruiser 470 80'. It is a single wire alternator with a single wire going back to the batts. By backflow I just meant running back to the batteries.

When I would reconnect the wire to the alternator it would pop the reset switch on the motor, and I lose all my power. However when I disconnect the wire completely and hit the reset switch again I get power and the engine will turn over. Is there a ground or something I am missing?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm just guessing here, but when you say reset button on the motor, it sounds more like a breaker popping. So my guess is your alternator is grounded and tripping your main breaker. Best bet is to use a fluke meter and test your alternator from the charging wire or post to the frame of the alternator (outer casing). If your not familiar with testing with a fluke (Ohm meter) take your alternator to a auto parts store and have them diagnos it for you. I know some stores advertise this service, but I don't know which ones.

S.S.F.F.F. Supporter
Old 07-11-2009, 09:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Was the alternator submerged in any water? If it was try drying it out, also check the post where the wires get hooked up for damage. You may have broken insulation around the terminal post grounding to the casing.

S.S.F.F.F. Supporter
Old 07-11-2009, 11:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

RichyB, thanks a lot for the replies...I am going to start with bringing it to an auto shop and having everything tested and then go from there

Thanks again
Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have the same setup. Is yours a high mount or low mount version? Not that it matters, just asking. I have had nothing but problems keeping that f-ing braket in place! Used red loc-tite and its been pretty solid for 2 seasons now, but it WILL work loose again!

Richy B hit it on the head, when that alt fell, something in it let loose. I'll bet the charging stud insulating washers cracked/broke. That short to ground is popping the main breaker.

Either way, it shouldnt be an expensive fix. You can either have it rebuilt locally or order new from BasicPower, they have the best prices I have seen.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 07-15-2009, 07:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Any results yet??????? Was wondering how you made out.

S.S.F.F.F. Supporter
Closed Thread