NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

What's your trout setup - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: What's your trout setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMac14 View Post
I'm free all day so more then willing to come up your way if you have a spot in mind. Just let me know. Everyone else's invites stand. Would like to meet up
Now I'm stuck working Monday-Tuesday. Hooray union lol. I'll be around later in the week

And yea squatch that and keep a hair of tension going on seems to do it for me
Old 04-04-2017, 10:26 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Maybe I'll keep it and give it a try. You have any complaints at all about It? Castability and everything good. Don't know if it's really necessary for the fishing I'll be doing but if you guys think it's good and it does give somewhat of an advantage, I'll give it a go
Old 04-04-2017, 10:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Should I start using fluoro leaders? Or is 6 lb mono fine, even for wild trout?

What kind of fluoro, what knot to tie (on both ends, hook and to the main line) do you all suggest?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ryan I PM'd u
Thym I usually use 4 mono, but that's just preference. I go onto the mainline directly using a improved cinch or a uni knot. Not big on leaders for trout
I use #2 fluoro but I have a dedicated Trout rod.
Do I need fluoro? No. Does it help? Maybe once? I like it for bait If the fish are picky. So twice last year lol And jigs/trout magnet. For spinners I have a spare spool for my 25 with 4lb mono.
Honestly it's just fun to try new things. I like vanish and apparently a lot of guys on here do to. I only started it last year for fall stocking. So I went out 20 times or so with it, not an expert- but did take the plunge recently
Old 04-04-2017, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23cardinal View Post
Ryan I PM'd u
Thym I usually use 4 mono, but that's just preference. I go onto the mainline directly using a improved cinch or a uni knot. Not big on leaders for trout
I use #2 fluoro but I have a dedicated Trout rod.
Do I need fluoro? No. Does it help? Maybe once? I like it for bait If the fish are picky. So twice last year lol And jigs/trout magnet. For spinners I have a spare spool for my 25 with 4lb mono.
Honestly it's just fun to try new things. I like vanish and apparently a lot of guys on here do to. I only started it last year for fall stocking. So I went out 20 times or so with it, not an expert- but did take the plunge recently
thanks man, from what i can tell online is that it's not necessary but something that can help, but for a guy like me it's just more things to worry about on my gear when i should be worrying about the fishing instead.

I heard heavy fluoro is good for pickerel since they cant bite the line as well as mono- yet ive caught two pickerel fine on 6 lb test with crappie jigs
Old 04-04-2017, 06:20 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

This is what I have: Shimano CI4+ 1000FAML and Loomis TSR690S/5’9” GLX and I use Maxima Ultragreen 2lb.
I use 2lb. for bait and 3lb. for lures. It is an expensive little outfit, but I blessed that I can buy high end equipment.

IMO the Loomis GLX is a supersensitive rod and you will detect the slightest bites.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sage One 9' 5wt with a Galvan T5. I still have my favorite old spinning setup which is a Shimano Compre 5'6" UL 1pc with a Shimano Sedona 500 but I really only fly fish now in the streams.

Last edited by henro; 04-04-2017 at 06:31 PM..
Old 04-04-2017, 07:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Should I start using fluoro leaders? Or is 6 lb mono fine, even for wild trout?

What kind of fluoro, what knot to tie (on both ends, hook and to the main line) do you all suggest?
I've never bothered with a fluoro leader for trout, but I keep my mono line to 2 or 4 lb max. 6 lb is a bit much.

When I do tie on any leader I use a blood knot (if they are of equal diameter) or double uni or albright (if different diameters) to connect the lines. Line to hook is usually palomar.

Last edited by briansnat; 04-04-2017 at 08:31 PM..
Old 04-04-2017, 07:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsell View Post
this is what i have: Shimano ci4+ 1000faml and loomis tsr690s/5’9” glx and i use maxima ultragreen 2lb.
I use 2lb. For bait and 3lb. For lures. It is an expensive little outfit, but i blessed that i can buy high end equipment.

Imo the loomis glx is a supersensitive rod and you will detect the slightest bites.
ballin'!