NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!


Message Board


Blackfish - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey


Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2019, 04:43 AM
Gremlin2009 Gremlin2009 is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 148
Default Blackfish

I want to try jigging for blackfish. Any tackle recommendations in regards to rod, reel and line ? I have a budget of 200. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2019, 02:34 PM
psant psant is offline
NJFishing.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3
Default Re: Blackfish

Not an expert but here's my recommendation: when jigging for blackfish, use a spinning rod/reel. I would recommend a Daiwa BG 3000 reel paired with a Tsunami Classic Spinning Rod 7ft MH (or H if you prefer) with 20lbs braid. Both are great value and should be under budget. Pocket the savings or use it towards jigs. In a few years, upgrade to a fancier pole (like a slow pitch jigging rod) if you think you need something more stylish.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2019, 03:34 PM
Jigman13's Avatar
Jigman13 Jigman13 is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Spotswood
Posts: 3,432
Default Re: Blackfish

With the BG, be sure to rinse it well after use. It is not sealed like the more expensive Daiwa reels and it wont last, especially with the beating nice tog will apply to your equipment combined with saltwater.

Re: rods. I've used a few of the "fancy" slow pitch rods. They're nice. Light and manageable...but I sold them all after a few uses. Went down to Bogan's in Pt. Pleasant last fall, chatted with him about what I was looking for and placed an order for a custom 6'9 spinning tog jig stick. No bells and whistles, all black with a really nice rear and fore grip wrap on it. It's a sweet stick. I havent had the pleasure of wrecking a big fish yet but it has done the job on roasters on the boat and from shore. I tested the rod's potential this past weekend on an offshore canyon trip. While pot hopping for mahi I definitely tested the hell out of it.

The rod put a whipping on 20+ lb mahi and I was decking fish quicker than others on the boat who were using heavier gear.

If I recall correctly, the rod was in the $200 ballpark, but that's due to the lack of decaling, colored wraps, etc. It's one of my favorite meat sticks Perhaps an option to consider later on down the line...
__________________
"There's no losing in fishing. You either catch or you learn."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Gerry Zagorski's Avatar
Gerry Zagorski Gerry Zagorski is offline
Owner NJFishing.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 9,120
Default Re: Blackfish

Lightweight rods and reels are the key here so you can feel the subtle bites and ticks you get when jigging. Fish with a broom stick and a heavy reel and you might as well be home on the couch.

I would recommend you try and add a few dollars to your budget if you can. I’m using the Shimano Stradic CI4 plus and have a few friends and they’ve been problematic. I’d recommend the Diawa Ballistic if you can scratch up some extra cash, if not, then the BG.

Lots of guys using black hole challenger spinning pole either the 701L or 731M but they are pricey... A few guys I know also using the Tsumai's but I've never fished one and you can't go wrong with a Bogan custom built to match the reel of your choice, just make sure it's a composite since you want it as light as possible.
__________________

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of SSFFF and RFA
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 10-28-2019 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2019, 10:19 AM
hammer4reel's Avatar
hammer4reel hammer4reel is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,577
Default Re: Blackfish

While many guys are going to tell you to use spinning equipment IMO itís not,even close to being the best set up.

Most spinning rods canít handle,big double digit fish, and most drags on reels being used donít cut it.


Instead many of us are using low profile bait casters on light rods simaler to,what we use fluking, that have a lot of backbone.

Set up Iím using is a penn battalion 12/20 casting rod.
Paired to an Abu Garcia low profile beast 40.
20# Berkley X9 line.

A low profile reel drops the jig with less effort on line payout.
Allows you to feel a fish swim by your bait.
IMO it allows you to fight a big tog easier than on the spinning equipment.

.
I have had many people who couldnít feel the bite on the spinning equipment change to the bait caster and tear tog up with those outfits .


.
__________________
Captain Dan Bias

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Gerry Zagorski's Avatar
Gerry Zagorski Gerry Zagorski is offline
Owner NJFishing.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 9,120
Default Re: Blackfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
While many guys are going to tell you to use spinning equipment IMO itís not,even close to being the best set up.

Most spinning rods canít handle,big double digit fish, and most drags on reels being used donít cut it.


Instead many of us are using low profile bait casters on light rods simaler to,what we use fluking, that have a lot of backbone.

Set up Iím using is a penn battalion 12/20 casting rod.
Paired to an Abu Garcia low profile beast 40.
20# Berkley X9 line.

A low profile reel drops the jig with less effort on line payout.
Allows you to feel a fish swim by your bait.
IMO it allows you to fight a big tog easier than on the spinning equipment.

.
I have had many people who couldnít feel the bite on the spinning equipment change to the bait caster and tear tog up with those outfits .


.
Funny that I have the opposite experience then you Dan... I have a Abu Revo low profile and a fish it on a Loomis GL2.. Maybe it's the Loomis rod but I don't get the feel like I do on my shimano stradic CI4 and challenger 731M.

I also like the spinner a lot better when casting lighter jigs since it casts lighter stuff easier and I always try to use as light a jig as possible.

The other thing I tend to do is use my fore finger on the line coming off the spinning reel with the same hand I use to cast to feel bites better. Can't do that with a conventional either, at least with one hand..

The one thing we can however agree on is the low profile conventionals and conventional rods definitely give you an advantage on larger fish over spinning. Much easier to pull and lift a big fish out of the wreck for sure... The shimano stradic does have 24 pounds of drag so it's very capable but the spinning rods just can't give you the leverage and comfort you get with a conventional...

I think the other thing we can also agree on is to be sure whatever rod you choose has a nice long foregrip... This really helps when you're trying to get some leverage on a bigger the fish... Move one hand up on the foregrip and lift as opposed to trying to lift the rod with only your wrist...
__________________

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of SSFFF and RFA
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2019, 01:35 PM
hammer4reel's Avatar
hammer4reel hammer4reel is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,577
Default Re: Blackfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Funny that I have the opposite experience then you Dan... I have a Abu Revo low profile and a fish it on a Loomis GL2.. Maybe it's the Loomis rod but I don't get the feel like I do on my shimano stradic CI4 and challenger 731M.

I also like the spinner a lot better when casting lighter jigs since it casts lighter stuff easier and I always try to use as light a jig as possible.

The other thing I tend to do is use my fore finger on the line coming off the spinning reel with the same hand I use to cast to feel bites better. Can't do that with a conventional either, at least with one hand..

The one thing we can however agree on is the low profile conventionals and conventional rods definitely give you an advantage on larger fish over spinning. Much easier to pull and lift a big fish out of the wreck for sure... The shimano stradic does have 24 pounds of drag so it's very capable but the spinning rods just can't give you the leverage and comfort you get with a conventional...

I think the other thing we can also agree on is to be sure whatever rod you choose has a nice long foregrip... This really helps when you're trying to get some leverage on a bigger the fish... Move one hand up on the foregrip and lift as opposed to trying to lift the rod with only your wrist...
I can cast the bait caster as easily as any spinning rod.
I hold the rod in one hand palming the reel and use the same finger as you to feel for bites, difference is I won’t cut my finger setting the hook like happens ona spinning reel if you don’t slide the finger off.
I like vertical presentation most and find the bait caster gets the line off. Faster with less scope.
I don’t need to cast around as much as the boat is sitting on tiny pieces where you want the line to stay closer to the boat..

Another thing you will find is a 701 and 73m built as a caster have way more backbone than when built as a spinner.

Fore grip is needed on spinner because the handle bites you on a big fish.
No fore grip,needed on the bait caster as the reel,is palmed in my hand
__________________
Captain Dan Bias

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club

Last edited by hammer4reel; 10-29-2019 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2019, 05:48 PM
Gerry Zagorski's Avatar
Gerry Zagorski Gerry Zagorski is offline
Owner NJFishing.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 9,120
Default Re: Blackfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
I can cast the bait caster as easily as any spinning rod.
I hold the rod in one hand palming the reel and use the same finger as you to feel for bites, difference is I wonít cut my finger setting the hook like happens ona spinning reel if you donít slide the finger off.
I like vertical presentation most and find the bait caster gets the line off. Faster with less scope.
I donít need to cast around as much as the boat is sitting on tiny pieces where you want the line to stay closer to the boat..

Another thing you will find is a 701 and 73m built as a caster have way more backbone than when built as a spinner.

Fore grip is needed on spinner because the handle bites you on a big fish.
No fore grip,needed on the bait caster as the reel,is palmed in my hand
I gotcha and might give it another try with my conventional Revo...Old habits do die hard though..
__________________

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of SSFFF and RFA
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-31-2019, 06:44 PM
hammer4reel's Avatar
hammer4reel hammer4reel is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,577
Default Re: Blackfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
I gotcha and might give it another try with my conventional Revo...Old habits do die hard though..
Here you go.
Might catch you up to Joey lol

One hand revo 40 beast.

Can feel every little scratch with same finger you use with a spinning reel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_174251.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	138335  
__________________
Captain Dan Bias

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-2019, 03:25 PM
Gerry Zagorski's Avatar
Gerry Zagorski Gerry Zagorski is offline
Owner NJFishing.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 9,120
Default Re: Blackfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
Here you go.
Might catch you up to Joey lol

One hand revo 40 beast.

Can feel every little scratch with same finger you use with a spinning reel
Hey Dan - Joe's only double digit so far this season was right at 10 pounds and was caught on, guess what..... A spinner

BTW - Joe had lost his Mojo there for a while but he's made a recovery now that he's back to jigging... Seems like we've had a very light bite lately and the jigs have been out producing the rigs by a very wide margin. Another jigger fishing with us had a 13 pound fish and his PB as well..
__________________

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of SSFFF and RFA
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.